Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Tangled Up In...Sinew?

Now, I know what you're thinking: "Sinew? Errrrrrrr...ewww?" 

Yes, I agree. 

Next fall will mark 15 years that I've been a devoted vegetarian. So rest assured when I promise you that the sinew used in these earrings is completely faux, imitation, no animals harmed. It consists of polyester fibers which have been spun together and waxed, making it tacky to the touch yet pliable and knottable. Good buddy Kimberly Rogers of Numinosity Beads fame turned me on to this material a bit ago. 

 
My crude knotting pales in comparison to some of the intricate, exacting work seen in many cultures, both old and modern. But I really dig the native primitive vibe that it adds to pieces. Plus I'm always looking for ways to incorporate textiles and fibers that will hold up to the test of time and wear. 

 


I've had a leisurely summer in the studio but am on the cusp of releasing a new batch of earrings that feature grungy, earthy neutrals, since that's where my head has been lately. This taupe and fawn hued pair fit the bill nicely. The stones are Polish flint, otherwise known as banded flint or striped flint. Mined in Poland, this stone is famous for its swirling, mesmerizing banding. At first glance the color may seem rather boring, but relax your eyes and let the patterning lure you in...peaceful magic.

To create these, I knotted faux sinew around the tops of each stone to form "caps" of a sort and then hung each from my extra long oxidized copper ear wires. Simple, versatile, soothing, neutral, unique.

Happy Wednesday!

Nikki
LoveRoot on Etsy

10 comments:

  1. Those caps are ingenious! I love the variation in your knotting. I'd love to develop some interesting new ways with cord. And I adore that soft grey...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If this is not intricate knotting then I should call my work as plain coarse

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe there is nothing crude about your knotting. Non at all!! It is ingenious. And the combination with the flint, just perfect. I never heard of this stone as well as the faux sinew before so thank you for the introduction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cool, I love the look of sinew and that it's faux is fabulous!! I agree with the others, definitely not crude. The wrapping looks so great on these beautiful stones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what lovely earrings . I have never heard of Polish Flint but they are so soft and mesmerising. Your knotting is wonderful . did you just wing it or did you follow instructions you found somewhere. If you are able ,please share your method.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nikki, these earrings are a perfect example of your incredible talent. Beautiful finds in the stones to begin with. I have not heard of faux sinew, but it is gorgeous, first in its color paired with the stones, and the caps look expertly accomplished, not at all crude. You continue to blow me away with everything you do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of POLISH flint before, but it is really lovely. and I love how you capped it with the sinew. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That fiber is a very intriguing product. I like the look of it. I think your knotting is lovely! It reminds me of a french braid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the added texture the "sinew" wrapping gives to the earrings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the added texture the "sinew" wrapping gives to the earrings!!!

    ReplyDelete