Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Shady Sinner

I seem to be in the minority when I say that I really don't prefer jewelry/beads/components that include words. Which is an odd thing for me to say, being a self avowed word nerd, bookaholic, and walking dictionary. There's something about the bluntness (?) of it that doesn't appeal to me. It's hard to describe, other than you will 99.9% of the time never see these in my work. The same goes for beads and charms that feature humans or body parts. But that's another story.


HOWEVER. 

 
When my latest order of ceramic beads from the insanely talented and lovely Claire of somethingtodobeads arrived, she included a generous pair of freebies: grungy twirled smooshed ceramic beads stamped with two simple, devious, wicked words---SHADY and SINNER. 

Now, when I laid eyes on this pair, my first thought was oh, now that's cheeky. And my next thought was wait, those actually kinda go together. Followed quickly by a grin and an oh yes, challenge accepted

 
And, thusly, today's pair of earrings was born. I torched my own fat-bottomed copper headpins, strung each ceramic bead on, and then topped them with graduated stacks of rusty, crusty, patina-riddled bead caps---no two the same. I dotted the top loop of each with some silver solder, gave each earring a good oxidation bath, and then hung each from one of my long curvy copper ear wires. Swingy, potbellied little devils.

Happy Wednesday!
Nikki
LoveRoot on Etsy

5 comments:

  1. Ha - This post has cheered me up! Although I'd hate to have appeared cheeky for any length of time! I did a couple of sets of F- and S- words (I'm also ambivalent about words on beads) but kinda bottled it when it came to listing them. But I thought they might just appeal to you! These earrings really are fab! Love the asymmetry in the bead caps too - clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire and Nikki, I am absolutely on the same page as you guys. I was thinking of making a more irreverent series of beads with words because breathe, dream and breathe just don't do it for me.
    Loving this pair and the makers behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make that four. No words. . . . .although I bought a set from Claire more than 3 years ago, and even asked her to make another word for me, but in the end I never used them. Still have them!! :) You are such a wordsmith, Nikki, perhaps it would be different -- other than these, I mean -- if they were your own words. I love the earrings; I love the beads, Claire; and Kim, I'd love to see what you would do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What happens when two immensely talented ladies create something together (well, not at the same time, but you know what I mean)...you get these fabulous earrings!! Oh, I so love those beads, and the words made me smile! And I love what you did with them Nikki. And the beadcaps, what a clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same as you Nikki - love to read, love words, love to write, but just not on jewelry. However, those beads (cheeky is right!) were just dying to be used and you did them justice! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete