Pages

Friday, August 19, 2016

We're All Ears :: August Reveal

Sorry for the delay! This show that I am mounting (opening on August 30th!) is busting my behind with all the work that needs to be done! And while I didn't manage to get even one fire pit in over the last two weeks, I did manage to eke out a few pairs of earrings for the challenge (double duty as they will go into my exhibit! Woot!)

When I see flames dancing and chasing the sky, I think of copper. It perfectly embodies the molten core of fire. And I also thought of glass, particularly lampwork, that would be created in a flame. Lucky for me, my hoarding tendencies are well known and I came across this little stash of copper pieces from our friend Kristi Bowman. As luck would have it, they were right next to lampwork glass swirl discs from Melissa Rediger. Sweet serendipity! Since both components are flat, I didn't want to miss out on showing off their incredible detail so I did a little bit of simple wirework to show them off. I call these Flame Dancer. (I think I may be tempted to keep these for myself! So light and glowy!)



I came across some polymer clay headpins that I made at the Inspired by Nature retreat in 2015. They look so much like the lumps of molten heat in the center of the flame. There is always a lot more color in fire than just red and orange and these have a touch of purple shades and tiny white flecks. Wrapped in rings that simulate the tangled branches of the fire pit, I call these little wonders Hot Spots.


At the end of the night, the grey ash mixed with the charred remains and the tiny spots of dying flame are as fascinating to watch as when the flames are shooting sparklers into the night sky. These are another pair of headpins I created last year with a perfectly weathered look. The headpins are on blackened annealed steel wire which I made into a frame. I wrapped a copper colored wire around that ending in random twists of wire. I call these Embers & Ash.


I really need to get my flame on and enjoy that fire pit (maybe as a reward for getting this show, "Beauty in the Broken Places" off the ground!). I think a cold beverage and some s'mores would make a great way to celebrate!

Let's see what you did. Share your blog links below.


Get the InLinkz code for your blog: 

13 comments:

  1. For such a busy lady you certainly hit this one spot on. I like that your creations will do double duty for you. Always a win win when that happens.
    I've decided that the Hot Spots pair are my favourites. Thanks for hosting the challenge again. It's always fun.

    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your choice of colors and wirework, fabulous! Thank you for this inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always love your inspirations, Erin...finally got to play along this month! I see we both were in a spiral state of mind, too. Love your flamed headpins in the last pair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spectacular designs, Erin. You totally captured the warmth and ethereal beauty of campfire flames. And that first pair? With the paisley and the copper and all the length? Swoon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin, very beautiful earrings: the 1st and last pair are my favorites! Thank you for inspiration! I'm always amazed by what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live you design.So beautiful.Explore our curated collection of Ethnic Earrings. Browse our Afrocentric, Natural Hair, Map of Africa and Nefertiti earrings. Tons of earrings at great prices.
    africa earrings

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this challenge. Wonderful earrings you made.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are all fantastic Erin - I love them all...but my favorite is definitely that Flame Dancer - and for some reason, now I'm craving a fire in our fire pit, complete with rotating marshmallows on a stick with chocolate and homemade cookies waiting to make our Cookie Smores ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. NIce Blog Thanks For The Sharing With Us, Perfect performance and practice Hoops Earrings Online from Kyrashion.com. Look in the shop for colours and sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to be late to the party! but didn't want to miss this one :) I love your designs and those colors! nothing like the deep, rich colors of fiery oranges!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all your earrings, Erin, but especially the headpins you made. Gorgeous! Good luck with the show!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always love to see what you do when it comes to the reveal..this is again no exception...wow..such gorgeous designs..loving the flame dancer..the extra bit of color from the glass disc reflect some of the colors we see as we gaze in the fire. Thanks for another fun challenge. Glad i could play along. Now go get that cold beverage and a s'more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous pieces! I am absolutely in love with the Flame Dancer set, although I would definitely wear all of them... Just beautiful! I love the campfire inspiration, and I'm glad that I was able to join in the fun this month (albeit a bit late!).

    ReplyDelete