Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

No Bones About It

Hello Everyone. And welcome to the second half of August 2016!

I found a new shop. . . . and No Bones About It, it is filling THE missing link in my stash. Bone beads. Many, many bone beads. All hand dyed!! Rustic but not too rustic. Many different colors in a variety of sizes. The shop is new; just opened a couple of months ago, and already her sales are taking off. I'll give you just a bit more in a minute. No, the shop name is not No Bones About It, although that would've been a good one. I just like the phrase, and it is apropos.  :) 

My earrings today are my own rustic copper pieces. They started off as a square piece of 24-gauge copper sheet metal. After cutting it in half and giving it a very basic, rough shape, the rest of the work was done with a dremel, until the shape was what I wanted and all the edges were smooth. They actually had a different incarnation before I settled on this one. Originally they were meant to be vertical; it just wasn't working. So then when I turned it horizontally, the holes I had made for the first idea were not in very good places for the new look. But I worked that out by adding more and creating a design that would look great even if the holes were a little wonky. Five strands of 4mm and 10mm hand-dyed bone beads were strung on waxed Irish linen. The "handles" were a bit of a challenge, and I wasted a bit of leather, but in the end I was happy with it. It is 1.5mm natural-dye grey leather. 

The texturing was done with a simple texture hammer. The one used has two different designs, lines at an angle, and the other side is circles. Liver of sulfur was the oxidizing agent, and they are sealed with matte finish Clear Guard.  

I could have selected any number of color combinations. I considered turquoise, red and sort of a lavender/grey, but I use that palette a lot, the turquoise and red. It works great with copper. But I wanted something different, different for me. And I often use "bright" in general with copper for the contrast. So I went in a different direction this time. I decided on the peachy/lavender beads, lemon/lime, and aqua/green/turquoise :) , and the pale green 10mm beads. 

One of the awesome things about these beads is many of them have a variety in the package, or the strand. For example, the larger green beads, which have great speckles and stripes in most of this rustic strand, run all the way from this lighter green to a deep olive. 

When I find something this good, of course there is that initial thought. . . . I'm not telling anyone about this. lol That lasts about five seconds. I can't do that, for a couple of reasons. First of all, I want her shop to be successful. I think there will be many who will love her beads, and they'd eventually find it anyway; I just want to give it a jump-start. And I can "see" the wonderful work so many people will be doing with them. I meant it when I said these have filled a hole in my stash. 

Here is the basic information for the shop I've referred to. The name is "DyedBoneBead". The young woman who is the owner and the bead maker is a college student in Nashville, TN; her name is Ashley Krause. I know many of you will love it. The red type above is a link to her shop.

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by today. 

I am really enjoying being a part of this great group of designers and creators. We hope that all of YOU also enjoy what we're doing here at EE. We are always happy to receive your comments, and happy to answer questions. 

Thank you! And Happy Tuesday.

Norbel - She Flies Again 
You can follow me on Instagram
I'm also on Facebook

15 comments:

  1. These earrings are so cool! I love how you used the leather on top! And, thanks for sharing the source for those bone beads - her shop is chock full of goodness! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, thank you!! The bone beads, I am hooked! :) I think I'll make an edit because I neglected to say that many times the strands are limited to the stock you see in the photo, or maybe one or two strands, and because they're hand-dyed, you just don't know how the bone will react. Thanks again, Patti, for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it!!

      Delete
  2. Oh, Norbel, your posts are such a delight. You are always growing in your art and in the skill sets you are embracing. These are utterly splendid. And you are so generous to share your process. Generous and humble. Awesome virtues. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, thank you so much for your wonderful comments. I am happy you like the earrings. And I am honored to be considered generous and humble. They are two traits I continue to cultivate. Thank you!!

      Delete
  3. So cute!! Love the shape you ended up with and the little beads really add that perfect pop of color. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Cindy! I know my jewelry is so different from yours, and I LOVE that each of us can truly appreciate the other. Ya know? That's not always the case. You continue to inspire me to use silver. . . . and I will get there! Next wire order will include silver, and I've purchased a couple of Sterling toggles, and am on the lookout for ways to incorporate it. That is because of you! Thank you for taking the time to encourage and support. <3

      Delete
  4. I love everything about these!! The leather at the top and the piece tied to the side, the copper...yes, the cool beads...yes!!! Well done Norbel!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kristi! Your enthusiastic support is appreciated so much more than you know. I am so glad you like them. <3

      Delete
  5. Beautifully rustic pair, sweet Norbel! Love the texture and color combos that you've used, especially that leather touch, and love that you made the copper focals. You have grown so organically, I love watching you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sweet Nikki, you have encouraged and supported me from almost the very start, when there likely was not much to warrant it. That has meant so much more to me than I could express. It is fun for me, too, to watch the tiny ideas spring up. Having the confidence and the courage to move forward and take a leap of faith now and then has come from watching you, and others, and from the encouragement and support you all offer. Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. It means a great deal.

      Delete
  6. Love these Norbel and I checked out the source of the bone beads, thank you for sharing, ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And you're welcome. I really am finding the beads to fill a hole for me. I should edit the post because I neglected to mention that many times the beads you see may be limited to the stock you see, maybe two strands, sometimes only one. I have missed out on a number of really cool strands. Thanks again, Lynn. I hope all is well in your world!

      Delete
  7. This post is another example of what a wonderful person and great artist you are Norbel. Not afraid to experiment with components and material, you come up with such clever ideas like the leather. And when are you going to sell your copper components (hint hint LOL. It also shows what a wonderful role model you are for the bead and jewelry community. Always supportive to other artist, always sharing your sources and processes. Thank you so much for being who you are Norbel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janine, you are overwhelmingly kind. What wonderful words to receive. . . your support means a great deal to me. Sell my copper components. . . . . hmmmm. . . . that was not on my radar at all. I'm certainly not sure that they are "sell worthy". I'll think on it though. Thank you for even considering the idea. Thank you, Janine, for being who YOU are. Hugs.

      Delete
  8. These are amazing earrings Norbel. Very original and creative. Love!

    ReplyDelete