Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Unpredictable Verdigris

I love working with patinas and painting, my favorite colors of course being the blue-greens. However.... the end result can be very unpredictable, but I think I'm getting the hang of the process to actually duplicate the colors pretty close each time. I make sure that the brass and copper bases are raw by removing any protected sealers, it seems to take the color faster with overall better coverage.

There are a number of suppliers out there, my favorite being Swellegant, they also offer a number of dyes & how to videos to help you out.

Below are a few pieces I've made using this product, as you can see the end results have been pretty close.

I used copper for the chain/leather fringe earrings and tribal triangles, the large flower pods with raw brass.










◄ this finish, I added a tad of deep blue and then dipped it again in the regular solution, I couldn't be happier with this flow over embossed copper, its just gorgeous!

These flower pods turned out a little more green, but I've made others with veins of deeper blue here and there.

Hope this sends you some inspiration for the day.  Thanks for stopping by, share a few comments if you can and we will see you again later this month.

Lynn♥


6 comments:

  1. Lynn, as always, your earrings are drop-dead gorgeous! I love your use of leather.
    Oh and that patina!!! I never heard of Swellegant before, so thank you so much for the introduction. I use gilders paste as well as the paints from Vintaj myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good to know Janine, I think I will look into gliders paste too, thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous, all of them ~ the flower pods, omg, perfection..!! Your work is so inspiring!

    Thank you!

    Laura xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn. . . .they're all beautiful! I have never used Swellegant but have almost purchased it a number of times. I keep going back to the two things I've used. First of all, is Swellegant a reaction patina or a rather paint-like thing? Sounds like a reaction, right? I've been using, if anyone is interested to try them, JAX, I use both the green and the brown/black. And then I use a Blue Patina by Waymil. The blue is a much longer process. And the green is a bit finicky; you have to get the first coat on properly. But the brown/black is an amazing alternative to liver of sulfur. Quick, nice deep color, if that's what you're looking for. They also have a black. Thanks for the recommendation on the Swellergant. Love all the earrings!
    Gilder's Paste is a whole different medium. And comes in many colors. I don't use it as much as I thought i would, but try it. The one a lot of people start with is "Patina," that is the name of the color. It is an aqua turquoise. Beautiful earrings, Lynn. I got off topic a bit didn't I! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they have some darkening, verdigris gold-green and another one, cant remember, they are all reactive. I love them, I believe the base ingredient is vinegar, so unlike LOS is smells pretty good, also it patinas brass.

      Delete