Pages

Friday, January 16, 2015

We're All Ears :: January Reveal

So in the span of 2 weeks I have come to a morphing conclusion about Marsala, the Color of the Year. It is actually starting to grow on me!



I found that I actually have more things in my closet and life that are this color. I love it paired with grey and navy and lavender. I can see it with silver, gold, brass, gunmetal and copper. I guess I am entitled to change my mind!

Just when I was thinking that I might not have the right shade of bead, I got a surprise package in the mail from Cindy Martin-Shaw. She has been making components and she was working on Marsala colored ones and she thought I might like to have some. How right she was! I was so delighted by her kindness in thinking of me. And now I had just what I needed to make my earrings for the reveal.

The first pair, called Marsala Medallions, feature these domed rounds with a heavy embossing on them. The color is that perfect shade of dusky Marsala. I wanted to try to pair the Marsala color with some of the others on the list of Spring 2015 shades. I chose to use Strawberry Ice in the form of cherry quartz faceted rondelles atop some vintage rhinestone drops. I like the almost monochromatic palette this creates and the dangles make these a bit longer and swingy, the way I like them.

For the second pair, I added drops of mauve pearl headpins with diamond faceted pyrite ovals. The pyrite, also know as 'Fool's Gold,' leans more to the Custard color. I gave the rings a little bit more interest with love knots in black gunmetal rings. I tried all sorts of ear wires, but couldn't find any that worked, until I swiped the ear wires off my piece from last month's reveal! I know, cheating. But I really like the paddle effect. Unfortunately, these ear wires are in a gauge that is too thick for ears, so I will have to recreate these in a smaller size. I call these Marsala Spark because I learned that when you strike a pyrite rock with a hard object you can get a spark!

This third pair, called Marsala Flora, was really more of an accident. I happened to have a bag of these lovely bead embroidered components lying on the table from my friend Kristen Stevens. I tried putting these lovelies with all manner of beads... glass, gemstone, hematite, drops, dangles and rondelles. I just couldn't find the right beads to go with them. And then I realized that it was because they were so very special on their own. So I dug out a special pair of sterling silver ear wires I had been hoarding and that was that! You shouldn't mess with perfection. I really can't lay claim to this design (thanks to Miss Kristen for the pretty beaded components!), but I did wear them today and I love them! Something new for me!

Which color in the palette do you think you will work with this year? Let's see what you made!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let's see what you created!
Please take the time to hop around to the participants.
Leave kind, encouraging comments.
Visit their shops. Make new friends!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
An InLinkz Link-up
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Get the InLinkz code for your blog!

13 comments:

  1. Beautifully done. I too have been known to swipe ear wires for a photo shoot. Long and dangly are just my style, too. The pyrite design is my favorite. I keep scrolling back to take in all the different elements. Thanks for another fun theme. I'm glad marsala is growing on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 wonderful designs, I love the textured domes on the first pair and wonder if the little rings on the second pair would make a pleasant jingle as the wearer moved? I love jingly jewellery! Thank You for the inspiration this month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great earring, Erin. I love that you chose "shades" and "tints" of the Pantone colors.

    I love the challenges you pose for us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely LOVE every single pair. Each one is so different from the next, and all are so very pretty! I am really liking these color combos too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful earrings! I love the Marsala Flora pair. Thanks for another great challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erin, thank you for all of the wonderful inspirations that you provide for us each month. Such an interesting variety of prompts you have created! This month's inspiration certainly is relevant; marsala is absolutely everywhere I look on-line. As always, your earrings are all beautiful. Wow, Kristen's delicate beadwork amazes me. Love those! The strawberry ice combo is very pretty with the cherry quartz and rhinestone drops. Your love knots add such interest to the pyrite pair. Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Each pair of your earrings are wonderful. I love the Marsala floral earrings and I am glad you choose to not add a bead to them. Sometimes I think earrings can be over constructed and simplicity is often best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How awesome are these! Love all of them! Thanks so much for another challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Erin, all three of your designs are very beautiful. I don't know how you do it -- it's so unique and artistic -- the way you put all the elements together. Even ear wire hooks are perfect!
    Thank you for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Once again, lovely earrings from you! That first pair really captures me... and makes me want to get my BigKick out and play! Love the combo of metals and textures in that second pair and agree that you made the right decision letting Kristen's components shine. Excited for next month's inspiration even though I might not get to play due to travel.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete