Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Mexican Flor

As some of you know, my husband and I are spending this winter in Oaxaca, Mexico.  I brought a limited number of beads along with me and it is a good challenge to design with what I have here.  I'm still enamored with Marsha Neal's twisty spike headpins.  I used a coral pair of them 2 weeks ago and today I'll share a new pair of earrings that feature green twisty spikes.
I topped the spikes with Czech glass flowers and threaded yellow seed beads onto the head pin wires.
I bent the wires into circles and also ran the wire down behind the flowers to keep them positioned facing forward.
Mexico is a land of amazing, vibrant colors and I think these earrings have a bright happy color combo that reflects the country in which I am living now.  You can view the Mexican Flor earrings in my shop.


Linda

11 comments:

  1. What a splendid interpretation of the basket photo!

    The photos you are taking this winter will "last you" the rest of your life!

    Love the earrings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and you're right about the photos. We already have about a bazillion!

      Delete
  2. These are darling! Love the colors you chose, and each section compliments the other so nicely. Beautifully proportioned. Love that you made those little Czech flowers BEHAVE--drives me nuts when flat beads spin around on an earring! I'm always trying to think of ways to make them stay put. One discreet wire down the back sounds like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, hate it when flat beads spin around! I run the wire down the back and give it a little twist to hold it firm. Works like a charm!

      Delete
  3. Wow these are so cool!!! I love your inspiration and wish I was with you!!! I could do with some time in Mexico for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'd have a blast if you were here, Kristi! Oaxaca has a lively art scene!

      Delete
  4. Very pretty and whimsical design. I love the green & yellow. Reminds me of a sunny day- would go great with a bright and happy sundress. Love Marsha's beads too. Great combination! Have fun in Mexico! Wish I was there too! Brrrrr. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy. When I just had the flowers on the spikes, the earrings were to blah. They *needed* the yellow for oomph!

      Delete
  5. So warm and full of Summer-Vibes! I'm cold here today... it's really nice to see these lovely earrings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nathalie. Sending you virtual sunshine! :)

      Delete
  6. Sunshine-y colours! These are lovely. I have a little hoard of Marsha Neal twisty beads - must use some!

    ReplyDelete