Pages

Friday, January 2, 2015

We're All Ears :: January Inspiration

I am not really one to follow trends too much, but I do find it fascinating to watch the Pantone Color of the Year predictions.
Mostly, I think they get it wrong. 

Do you remember last year's Radiant Orchid? The orchid purple-pink showed up on all sorts of things in 2014, and will likely continue its dominance into 2015 (since most of us are much more glacial in changing despite what the color trend 'Influencers' would like), but I am not so sure that it is a color that I could live with long term. It seems something that might be fine in small doses, like on fingernails, not walls. So I never fully embraced the Radiant Orchid color for the year.


When they announced the 2015 Spring Color palette, I have to say that I was a bit underwhelmed. Sure, sherbet tones are somewhat expected for the spring, but what I didn't like was how greyed out and muted they were. Even in its truest form, Marsala, the 2015 Pantone Color of the Year, described on their site as

A naturally robust and earthy wine red,
Marsala enriches our minds, bodies and souls

is a lovely color. I confess that it is always my go-to for lipsticks and pedicures. I even have a pair of suede boots in this shade (I must be ahead of the times!). But when paired with all the other tones, it really reads a bit sad to me. 

I want bright tones that slap me in the face and wake me up from my winter slumber! When spring rolls around I am ready to dump the grey and washed out tones of winter. These are a bit ho-hum to me.

Still, there are some gems in here...Like the fresh Lucite Green, the strong Classic Blue, and the quiet Glacier Gray. So maybe I will be able to find something in there that I like.

What colors do YOU like from the 2015 Pantone Spring color forecast?
What will you be wearing - or creating with - in the coming year?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To participate in the We're All Ears creative challenge:
Make earrings inspired by this inspiration.
Write a post on your blog.
Add your exact blog post URL link to the
InLinkz code right here on 
Friday, January 16th.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

10 comments:

  1. I love the color marsala, it lends itself well to textural surfaces and just made a necklace based on it - I guess i'll do matching earrings too. The best colors counterparts for marsala are offwhite, sap green, gold, orange and black.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with you on the Radiant Orchid from last year. It's a nice accent color, but overpowering as a main element. I love this year's palette. I'm fond of earthy, grayed, and subdued colors. I find this one soothing: all colors I could live with and in. And that color they're calling lucite green looks a lot like my favorite color: turquoise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you, not much into Pantone, but I usually check it out, just out of morbid curiosity. Last year I laughed out loud and shook my head. I have to say I love this palette, every bit of it (although I'm not really in love with the fleshy taupe, a/k/a "Sick Person Skin".) I love heathered colors with a bit of gray. I can only take really bright colors in small doses. And I love all these colors together, and the darker marsala seems to ground them. I'm kind of surprised they chose these....tasteful colors. Does that mean the fashion industry might stop making ugly clothes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My fist tought of seeing the pantone palette was "ok" and a shoulder shrug. Not awful, but not terribly exciting. Miss a purple hue to begin with (there's on in the men's palette, Lavender Herb). Might like it better if seeing it in the right finishes, e.g. alabaster pastel or semi-frosted silver lined beads. The shine and texture of the colour can make a huge difference and make what on one surface might feel like a dull or average colour turn into something sofisticated, elegant and/or purely gorgeous.

    Marsala is the kind of earthy colours I've always been drawn to, but again it didn't wow me. Guess I like it when the CotY is an intensive colour, as it's been so many years now. A colour that pops -- hence why I initially was disappointed by Radiant Orchid and wanted the darker purple from the men's palette instead. Marsala feels to, well, ordinary for me. And as you say, a bit sad or dull when mixed with the brighter blues and pastels.

    Another reason for not being overexcited is that I've been craving coral/apricot/papaya hues for the last six months or so (especially paired with a deep purple) so I guess I wanted Tangerine to become the CotY 2015. Or even Lucite Green, which is the other colour I like in the spring palette.

    That said, I'm of cause going to get some Marsala beads as I always want to try and do something. Same procedure as last year. Got some Marsala-ish beads, but might find some even better matches for the exact hue -- and finish! -- I'm after.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know about the radiant orchid being last years color- maybe that's why I was drawn to it- I don't know! But I have several shirts in that color I bought last spring (or maybe the year before) and I loved them- still do And I love that color. I know it's not a popular color but I have always loved pink- so I guess it's natural for me to like off shoots in the realm.

    Also really digging the Marsala color. I've actually been searching this color out for a few months now in glazes for my ceramic beads. Again- only coincidence. I do not follow Pantone nor their pallets. I am not a "fashion" girl. I just go with what I like. That's why you'll rarely see my picking out outfits to post on the EE blog. I am no fashion expert! I just know what appeals to me.

    Thanks for posting this challenge for us Erin! I think we'll see a wide variety of inspiration results! Should be very interesting and fun! Hoping I'll have time and energy to play along this time.

    Cindy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always been drawn to muted tones..that way, I feel like I can 'sparkle-them-up' with crystals without going over-board! I love the Glacier Grey and the new Marsala is definitely my style (Radiant Orchid was nice, but needed to be taken in small doses!). Loving that Lucite Green, too!..it's crisp, refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love some of the colors. I have gorgeous translucent earrings in my shop already in the Tangerine hues; in the Titanium/Glacier gray hues, also gloriously translucent; and several earrings and earring components with Scuba blue. I will admit that I made these things because I like the colors, not because of the color forecast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I personally like more vibrant colors, but I do like how these colors play together in the sample dress design here... Mmmm...... something to think about :)

    ReplyDelete