Pages

Friday, January 13, 2017

How long?

This week I set myself a challenge to make my longest pair of earrings yet .  These enamelled seahorse charms I'd received from Kaz Baildon a few days ago were small and thin enough for me to start building upon. 

I wire wrapped some hoops matching the seed colours to those on the charms w/o making them 'too matchy matchy' and attached the seahorse charms.



Next I added the oval brass blanks on top of the wrapped hoops followed by the filigree tubes on top.  But it didn't look right so I added the big brass rings behind the wrapped hoops and oval blanks.  The length at this point was just over 4 1/2" which is not long enough in my opinion as I've made longer earrings in the past.  Maybe I should have taken photos of each step?  Something for the next post perhaps.
I spent a long time trying to figure out ways in which I could make these longer - to no avail 😓.  I gave up however they still didn't look right.  I showed them to my husband and he also said there was something missing - there was too much brass between the wrapped hoops and filigree tubes.  I added the little red flower drops which did the trick.






So here they are, long earrings for most people I think but I failed in creating my longest pair - again something I can work on for a future post so all is not lost 😄.















These earrings are now listed on Etsy.  See you again in a couple of weeks time. 

Suhana 💜💜💖

My etsy shop: Buttoned Up Beads

14 comments:

  1. Is that your New Year Challenge then? Looking forward to it's fruition. These are spectacular. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely spectacular!!! If these aren't your longest I'm curious what your longest were? Long or short they are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there's one pair on etsy that measures 6" 😁 Thanks Kristi ❤

      Delete
  3. They're so pretty!! Beautiful work, Suhana!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of the above. These are spectacular! And your wrapping is perfect as always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would say 'Better luck next time', but these are a big success, regardless of length. I like that you're seeking to make things ever longer; I struggle to keep things on the short side...

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love that you have a challenge for yourself! great fun. if i wore 6" earrings they'd hang down to my bo-- chest! lol you must have a wonderfully long and graceful neck! i really look forward to see how far you can go. . . but i do love these just as they are. and your husband was right. that addition nailed it. thanks suhana!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I do love the self challenge. And long earrings are very nice. I get inspired to give myself that challenge now. You have really managed to combine many different form elements into a great whole. The shape of the sea horse charms is somehow also reflected again in the overall large shape. Kind of scaled up if you understand what I mean. Clever :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a fun pair with great movement! I find that an easy way to make things longer is to just dangle segments of chain...kind of a cop-out, but it works :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suhana, your earrings are spectacular fun and fabulously constructed! And beautiful to boot--hard to beat that! xoxo

    ReplyDelete