Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2017

How I Learned to πŸ’— Holiday Jewelry

I have a confession to make:  I have never been a fan of holiday-themed jewelry.  In fact, the thought of making anything even vaguely "holidayish" always filled me with dread...and if that sounds a little hyperbolic, let's just say I was always less than enthusiastic about the idea.   Maybe it's just that I'd never seen much holiday jewelry that I liked over the years, but I have always avoided making anything for Hallowe'en, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine's...well, you get the picture.

But this past Christmas season, I saw a few pieces by other designers that truly knocked me out.  Monica Pryor made an exquisite wintry bracelet that was so ethereal and beautiful it could have been worn by the Queen of Winter Herself, and our own Lindsay Philipson made several pairs of Christmas-y earrings that were just plain stunning.  I began to rethink.  Could I have been wrong all these years?

So when I saw these rustic red hammered copper hearts by Shannon German when I was browsing Miss Fickle Media one day a while back...


...a strange, unfamiliar thought came to mind:  "Hmm, I could make some Valentine's Day earrings..."  I know--shocking!

But once I had the hearts in my hot little hands, I wasted no time.  I got out some red linen cording and knotted tiny copper spacers and little Czech glass rondelles (in the most luscious red!) into the cutout spaces in the hearts and then added rustic copper hearts by TierraCast. 
Happy Hearts.

I hung the earrings from my hand-formed copper ear wires and--boom--they were done!  My first holiday earrings--simple but (I hope you'll agree) kinda pretty.  :)

Now I think I might make a Valentine's Day bracelet.  (And I think I'd better hurry!)   


Thanks for reading, everyone!  See you in two weeks.  
xo  Meridy





12 comments:

  1. As these are so lovely, I think you should be very happy with your reconsideration Meridy! And I'm all in favour of holiday jewellery - in the best possible taste, of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've begun to believe that holiday jewelry can be anything one can make it to be (like anything else, I guess!), so I'm slowly getting over my aversion. LOL! Thanks, Lindsay!

      Delete
  2. I am in favor of holiday themed jewelry. I think it is because I wore it all the time in my job in the education sector. Those are great earrings! I would wear those anytime I wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People are making some beautiful seasonal and holiday-themed pieces these days (and probably always have been and I just wasn't paying attention!) using art beads and components. I'm glad I've had my eyes opened. ;) Thanks so much, Kathy!

      Delete
  3. I like holiday themed jewelry best when it's something that can be worn any time. These earrings definitely fit in that category, they are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Kristi! I like things that can move between occasions, so to speak. Thanks so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't generally do holiday jewellery either but I agree with Kristi - the best is that which looks right year round. Job done - and very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. meridy, we of one mind! i've never worn seasonal jewelry, nor made anything. i am not at all sure why either. it just never spoke to me. these earrings are totally meridy, and so nicely done. i'm likin' the tierra cast heart, too. it has a puffed look to it. always like shannon's patina work. it sounds like you went at these and they basically told you what they wanted to be. love love when that happens. :) thank you for your lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks for your lovely comment, Norbel. :) I wasn't sure what the "dangle" was going to be at first, but I did know right away that I wanted to knot beads in the cut-out spaces in the hearts. As luck would have it, I had a pair of those copper hearts sitting on my bead mat only 6 inches away as I was working, so the two-heart thing must have been meant to be. Funny how things work out. <3 Thanks, sweetie!

      Delete
  7. Oh, I know what you mean Meridy. I am totally "allergic" for anything even hinting towards holiday-ish. These are beautiful! I agree with Kristi, these can be worn any time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Janine! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has that "allergic" feeling! :) Thank you!! <3

    ReplyDelete