Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Geometry of the Ears

It is with joy that I get to introduce you to our newest full-time contributor to Earrings Everyday. Actually, there are two! Today I am introducing you to Ms. Lindsay Philipson, designer/creator and owner of PreciousViolet. Lindsay has a wonderful style all her own, which you will soon come to recognize. We are very happy to have her with us.
norbel

I experienced mixed emotions at being invited to join the Earrings Everyday Team. It's an inspirational blog, with fabulous work by a group of women I admire very much, many of whom have become good friends over time.

Honoured?  Of course.
Excited? Yes.
Scared to death of not making the grade? YES!!!

Aside from anything else, I'm not particularly techy and have steered clear of writing a blog before. Not that I can't write, but........about myself? Not so much.

But I can make earrings. And I can take a half decent photo. So how hard can it be?  And it's good for all of us to venture out of our comfort zone. So here goes. 
 


Here's me, on the left. I don't do selfies as a rule - too old! But I gave in to Kimberly Rogers on her recent European trip to celebrate her 60th birthday. She and Dave slept over with us and we had  a great time feeding them such Lancashire delicacies as Eccles cakes and Butter Pie.  Not only is Kim a good friend but as well as her own lampwork, polymer clay and enamel work, she always has some very interesting and unusual finds in her Etsy supply shop Numinosity .  

Which brings me nicely to the point. The earrings. I've had a bit of a thing lately for geometric shapes and these raku finish ceramic chunky squares I got from Kim just fit the bill. So rustic you can still see the fingerprints in the clay. I love the juxtaposition of grungy with sparkly and in the first pair the swarowski faceted octagons echo the shape nicely. A sprinkle of ruby crystals, faceted labradorite (who doesn't love labradorite?)  and dark lever back earwires to hold them close to the ear.




The second pair I placed with chunky roman glass on dark rustic studs. Lucky to have the perfectly shaped and sized pieces in my roman glass stash. Isn't that why we need large stashes?


So there you have my first post. If I haven't been sacked, I'll see you in two weeks time!

Lindsay
Precious Violet


  Instagram 
 

39 comments:

  1. Wooohooooooooooooooooooooooo Lindsay, I am so so glad you are joining in the fun! Sacked??? Never! Both your earrings are gorgeous. The chunky squares from Kim are amazing. I especially love the colors in the second pair.
    The beads you picked to accompany them are a perfect pick. They not only accompany them, they enhance them. Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so exciting you got to meet one of our EE members as she traveled on the other side of the pond!! Love the selfie!! Now for the earrings, I love them too. Those chunky squares Kim gave you are very cool and I love that you put something sparkly with them too! Roman glass is amazing and a perfect pairing with the other chunky square pair. So wonderful to have you here with us!! Welcome Welcome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's quite a surreal experience to meet someone you have been 'virtual' friends with for so long. But she was just as I had imagined! Thanks for the lovely welcome Kristi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome, Lindsay! I look forward to reading Earrings Everyday as part of my morning routine. I love the grungy and sparkly mix, too! It's not something I would have thought of. I love the inspiration I get from all of you on Earrings Everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous earrings Lindsey, really love this style of shapes and textures x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woot woot m'lady. Very well done. I am proud of your techwizzaryness and as always i love everything you do xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can do it, anyone can. With a little help from Norbel x

      Delete
  7. Welcome, Lindsay! I already really loved the roman glass pair; now I'm loving the red ones too. Those raku pieces are reeeeeally very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always lovely designs Lindsay! Loved seeing your photo - and of course love the Earrings here with the special mix of grunge and sparkle - the red pair gives off an energetic vibe...and the other pair - a soothing, relaxing one :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both the earrings look gorgeous, But I wonder how feasible large glass earrings are? I personally don't wear very heavy ones and neither do they sell for me. so I am curious to know if people actually wear earrings with chunky glass beads or long earrings on the heavier side?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Divya. It is really interesting that it is impossible to judge the weight of an earring by sight. I make many pairs that would appear to be heavy and are not. So it just depends. It also depends on how the weight is distributed. The same amount of weight put together in one way can feel heavy compared to being distributed another way. The second pair of Lindsay's earrings have already sold. :) So really, there are many factors involved. I find that for me it is always best for me to focus on designing and creating what works for me. I make what I like. It sounds like that is what you do as well. :) It feels right, doesn't it? I hope this helps. :)

      Delete
    2. Norbel is right. They aren't actually that heavy - and the macro lens on a camera can make things look bigger than they are. It's always important to state length and size if you are listing earrings on a sales site, and to say whether you consider them to be light to wear, or heavier. Like most of us, you probably have regular customers who get to know your style and are pretty good at knowing what to expect. I do actually sell a lot of heavier earrings.

      Delete
  10. Fabulous earrings, as always xx So wonderful to read your first blog, Lindsay. I look forward to reading many more!!!!

    Susan Schmidt Moran

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh it's going to be fun to see your posts! Love your mix of colors and chunky shapes! Gorgeousnous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, it's so great to see that pic of you and Kim again! Love the earrings, Lesley--they're gorgeous, so color-rich and lush (I expect nothing less of you, no pressure of course). It's great to see you here as a regular--clearly you are going to do MUCH more than "make the grade." :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome, Lindsay! Both of these earrings are amazing in color and structure. Love love them! I am so happy to be working with you here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! This is quickly turning into the best blog around with the addition of some of my favourite jewelry artists! I have always followed it and it just keeps getting better. So happy to see you here, Lindsay. I absolutely love everything you make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan, that is such a really great thing to hear!!!! I love her work too, and another coming tomorrow. It's really tough to say goodbye to those that leave. So Its great to know you agree that these ladies are awesome! Thank you for weighing in! And I'm sure Lindsay will be happy too!!

      Delete
    2. Thankyou so very much Nan - what a lovely thing to say xx

      Delete
  15. awesome Lindsay! Always love seeing your creations

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous first post! Well done, hope to see lots more. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome Lindsay!!! Gorgeous earrings as always 💜💜💜

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welcome, Miss Lindsay! We are so pleased to have you! Just keep making gorgeous earrings. You already do that well, so you are right as rain! I adore labradorite, and these chunky raku are delightful! I love the second pair the most. Wow! Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin - the second pair sold first, but then the same buyer came back or the red ones. Must be a fan of square shapes!

      Delete
  19. Welcome Lindsay! Beautiful earrings. Especially the red ones. I am also all for the juxtaposition of sparkling and rustic. You worked it wonderfully. Such a lovely color palette also. The raku beads are fantastic. Did Kim make them?

    ReplyDelete
  20. So very tickled to have you join us! And don't give another thought to not making the grade--we all fly by the seat of our pants, like every good artist does ;) Stunner pairs with killer color!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I didn’t even know that such incredible handmade earrings for women are available online these days. Thanks for writing this blog.

    ReplyDelete