Pages

Thursday, November 8, 2018

Color Play

Early on in my life as a jewelry designer, I learned that my favorite part of designing was working with color, with line/shape/proportion coming in as a close second, followed by texture.  It's true to this day.  It's probably not too surprising--who doesn't love color, after all?

But I found that I enjoyed the study of color, of what colors complemented what others and what colors really didn't work well together.  For instance, in the earrings below, the beautiful dagger charms by Inviciti were a gently dissonant pink-and-orange, as were the streaky little glass rondelles by Beth Mellor, and I very specifically chose the tiny aqua-green rondelles to go with them, in direct complement to the rest of the color palette.









In contrast, these cityscape earrings, left, are an example of color matching, using lampwork glass, Czech glass, and Swarovski crystal beads in the same colors found in the vibrant charms by Marlene Kazor Quigley that are used in the earrings.










The earrings below, however, started out with a lot of color.  The first items I had to start my earrings were Kristi Bowman's rainbow-painted copper charms, which are so colorful that they could almost be the earrings' entire focus of color.  But I wanted more color. 😄💗



The wonderful Beth Mellor helped feed my color craving by making these gorgeous encased lampwork beads, with their ripples of color and little dark sine-wave-like scribbles.  She also made the beautiful orange glass rondelles.  💗








So...I got a little more color, and I think it works.  In fact, it feels autumnal, and that was a surprise.  Interesting...  
These earrings are available at Two Trees Studio.



Thanks so much for reading.  💗
See you in two weeks!  
xoxo
Meridy



10 comments:

  1. Wonderful post and even more wonderful earrings! When designing I too tend to start with colors. The aqua in the first pair brings the color combo pink-orange so wonderfully together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very kindly, Janine! I always appreciate your comments on my earrings and everyone else's too! 💗

      Delete
  2. I love color! Looking at your lovely, colorful earrings has made my day! Today is a dark, dreary day in Wisconsin and your earrings have made me feel summer again. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, thank you so much--I'm so glad that all the color here has brightened up a dreary day! 💗

      Delete
  3. Totally yummy colorway(s) and perfect for our rare fall days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GORGEOUS!! Every pair is bursting with happiness and joy!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much, Kristi! I'm so glad you like them! :) 💗

    ReplyDelete
  6. Colour is top for me too Meriday, closely followed by texture. Both together - earring heaven x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love your use of colour, Meridy x

    ReplyDelete