Pages

Thursday, March 16, 2017

We're All Ears :: March Reveal :: Owls

Alas, you get no credit for the best laid plans.

I had grand visions of finding glass beads that looked just like those haunting eyes and pairing those with a multitude of feathers. While I found some glass beads in my stash, but none of them seemed quite right.

So then I set about to create some components of my own. I had this idea to make an owl head tablet bead. I succeeded in making eight of them. But then I couldn't quite decide how to finish them and everything I did seemed to make it look worse.

Then I decided to switch gears away from the obvious owl face and focus on the feathers. I came up  with a new feather design, one that required sculpting each so they would be unique.

Still, none of this was quite right, or at least not how I envisioned it in my head.

But it is my party, and I figure that I should share with you what I made, even if it feels a bit more like cocktail weenies than prime rib. Plus there is always a lesson to be learned in the process....like using different colors of clay, or coloring it before baking, or simply don't wait until the very last minute to gather your materials (!).

"Perfection is the enemy of done." So here is what I made. Now I know that I have the spark of some ideas that I can revisit and refine another time.



Whoooo else made something to share? Add your link to the blog hop below and have fun flying around to see what everyone else created!



9 comments:

  1. I love the ear wires you made for wingspan. Perfect for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can empathize with the "not what I envisioned" feeling. It happens to me not because I wait until the last minute (although I do that a lot) but because I don't know how to make my hands do what I need them to. I think your earrings are fabulous. I especially love the detail in the feathers. Thanks for another great challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the first pair for its such a whimsical translation. and you nailed it when you said "Perfection is the enemy of done." If we keep planning we'll never finish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well they just look fabulous Erin, not like cocktail weenies at all, though that did make me laugh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your earrings turned out wonderfully. Don't be hard on yourself.
    Thank you for the challenge! It means so much to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These may not look like you had envisioned them, but they look fabulous to me! I made some cute owl charms to make earrings and I got busy with 'life' and didn't make those earrings yet. Going to catch up for sure. Great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're always our own worst critics, aren't we? I really love the winged pair and the cool ear wires.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love what you made--especially the second pair! Your work is always so inspiring, and these are no exception. Thanks, as always, for such a fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete