Pages

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Waterways

It's been a disturbingly warm winter here in southern Ohio. I wouldn't be exaggerating if I said we've had MAYBE three inches of snow total. I have daffodils and iris that are blooming all over the place...in February. Last week it was 70F and sunny...we had the doors and windows open, for god's sake. It's nice to not be snowed under, but it's also a little disorienting. 

While we've had very little snow, one thing we have had quite a bit of is rain. Truly, I can't remember a more soggy, rainy winter. Local rivers, including the Little Miami and the Ohio, have been swollen and angry--churning and channeling the muddy water as soon as it falls from the sky. One of my primary bike trails happens to run parallel to both of these rivers. And since it's been warmer, I've had more opportunities to go for rides. 

 









The other week I was flying along the trail on my way to downtown Cincinnati, and I had to pull over just to gawk at the near-flooded Ohio River. If you've ever observed a waterfall, a dam, angry waves, or whitewater rapids, you'll know what I mean when I say that the power of water is absolute. The roaring white noise fills your head--making it hard to think about anything else. Work anxieties, family squabbles, packed schedules--they all seem to fade into the background in these moments. 

I stood next to my bike, allowing myself to feel small, to feel humbled. All these waterways, acting like arteries and veins, transporting the planet's lifeblood. Washing, removing, renewing. It was a cathartic moment. Then I mounted back up and kept pedaling along. 

This week's earrings immediately brought rivers to mind, as they feature natural Royston ribbon turquoise mined in Nevada. Named for the bands of turquoise running through a brown matrix, this stone is incredibly natural and rustic. I picked up quite a few sets last year at the Tucson gem and mineral show and have been waiting for just the right moment to showcase them as a series. 

I fabricated these out of solid sterling silver, framed each bezel with gnarled, twisted roots, and hung them from cratered hand-cast silver granule studs. This style of earring is great if you have lobes that are stretched or can't handle traditional ear hooks--you get to rock the dangly look with the security of posts/backs. 

Happy Wednesday!
Nikki 
LoveRoot on Etsy



14 comments:

  1. Nikki, these are all fabulous. The way you work with silver is, in my opinion, unique. And I love these stones. I have to say, I am a wee bit jealous. Living in Greece is wonderful, but to go to a major bead show I need to travel. One day I hope to have saved and money for the trip and money to spend on gorgeous beads.
    Your silver work is addicted. I found out a local shop is giving courses in metalsmithing. Tempting, tempting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And I can't encourage you enough to take the plunge and try the metalsmithing course - you will never look back :)

      Delete
  2. Eeeeeesh! I'm hurrying towards phrases like 'immaculate' and 'perfect', which I know are far from the aesthetic.... but this set of seven: just beautifully done! I always expect that cab-set earrings should be less of a 'thing' than a ring but they really aren't in my limited experience! And this is another stone I keep perving over. Echoing Janine, I so wish I had opportunity to pick and paw - and not have to contend with shipping+customs. Tucson, one day soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heeeee oh stoppit! Sometimes I feel crazy for doing bezel-set earrings because--let's face it--this means you have to do twice the work and make them look similar to each other. We'll get you over to Arizona one of these years :)

      Delete
  3. OMG there's no words..... but: LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. Truly stunning work and gorgeous stones! Be safe near the water, things can change so quickly. Let's hope we can all meet in Tucson one of these days :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, maybe that's part of the fascination with water like that - there is a danger element, for sure! Thanks for the kind words and yes, if you are ever in Tucson let's please meet up!

      Delete
  4. Though the stones are very rustic the earrings look so polished and chic to such an extent that I had to remind myself that they are indeed handmade and not machine made. Wow, I applaud your skill and dedication Nikki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very high compliment, thank you so very much!

      Delete
  5. These earrings are beauties, every damn one of 'em! :) (I expect no less!) We're on the same wavelength this week. This winter was cold and wet in Northern California, with flooding and mudslides (and a near-catastrophe at the Oroville Dam north of here). There were a few times when I was afraid the American River was going to breach (it's a very short walk behind our house) it was so swollen. But we didn't get flooded out, thank the Lady. Grateful for the warming days and the sun. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very thankful that you and your family are safe - there is no messing with water when it's like that. There is definitely an off-angry energy to Mother Nature this year. Gee, wonder why that would be? Hugs :)

      Delete
  6. Yikes, Yikes and More Yikes!!!! To use your thing. . . . Squueeeeeee!! Seriously. I love love these stones! Of course I love the earrings you made with the stones; that's a given, okay? Your metal work has gone beyond once again. I just know that your imagination as a child must have been phenomenal. The imaginings of your mind take you to these heights. It, and you, are amazing to me. Simply amazing. I will now remember the Royston ribbon turquoise. Have never heard of it before. It is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet friend! From what I remember, I think I was a touched child--now a touched adult LOL. Some people may call that special, some may call it just plain weird :)

      Delete