Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Stop to Hear the Frogs Sing

For those who have known me since childhood, it will come as no surprise to hear me say that I'm a fan of frogs and toads. I don't know what it is, but they have always made me squeal and immediately squat down to try and catch them. Mind you, not to hold them captive or torture or scare them, but to give their little heads a tap and whisper some cute equivalent of "who's a good boy". 

Even today as an adult I have the same reaction, much to the chagrin (and embarrassment) of my husband. I don't care if a grown-ass woman shouldn't be chasing frogs in a creek, I'm gonna do it. Because I do what I want. 

 
Ground zero for this favorite pastime was my grandparents' farm in central Ohio. They had several acres on which they grew various crops, most importantly strawberries. Locally famous for their pick-your-own berries, their farm was a haven for my brother and I growing up. And especially when it came to the small pond sitting at the back of their land. You wouldn't believe the frogs, fish, turtles, snakes, insects, and fowl that would flock to this watering hole. In the spring you could see velvety soft tadpoles teeming around the shallow edges. As the year progressed, they morphed into wee frogs the size of a quarter and would sun themselves on the embankments. We tried to quietly creep up on them but their keen froggy senses warned them every single time, sending them plopping back into the water with a chorus of "eeeeps". If they were lucky enough to survive adolescence, they would grow into one of the many grandaddy bullfrogs that would serenade us with deep, throaty "moos" while we were picking strawberries in the fields. To this day, if you want me to tear up, just put me in a wide open field on a hot, sunny, breezy day and let me listen to the frogs.

My earrings for today feature small smooth stone bullets of limey green serpentine. The mottled colors and patterns on these stones remind me of the amphibians I adore so much. I have hung them beneath stacks of precious bits, as I am wont to do: grungy antique clear glass "dogon" beads from Africa, two-tone tiger kamagong ebony wood beads from the Philippines, vintage brass saucers, and wee star-shaped metal bead caps. I added in some decorative blackened silver soldering, as I am also wont to do, and hung everything from my extra long curvy copper ear wires.

For all of the nostalgia and anecdotes that I share on this blog, I suppose I do have a loose theme that ties them all together, and today's post is no different. Please don't ever become so jaded that you lose your wonder for the world and its tiny miracles. Even if it's as simple as stopping to hear the frogs sing. 

Happy Wednesday!
Nikki
LoveRoot on Etsy

9 comments:

  1. These are lovely, Nikki! Organic and opinionated, yet neutral and simple. It's difficult to imagine the components disassembled, because they look like they should always have been in that configuration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks bunches for the high compliments - beaming from ear to ear, here!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for your wonderful post Nikki. I could just picture you sitting by that pond. And the earrings have the WOW factor. Beautiful. Where do you find all these wonderful components :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading your story about the frogs on your grandparents farm! And serpentine is indeed a perfectly colored stone to reflect those froggy delights. Your design is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Nikki, one of your best. It made me sentimentally nostalgic for a past-time I never ever enjoyed, having grown up in the City of Detroit. Your words took me there as if they were my own childhood memories you were speaking of. You do know what that means, huh? Creatively designing amazing jewelry is not your only high talent. I hope someday to hear you are writing regularly, if and when you have the time and the desire. The earrings of course are awesome! Love the wonderful bullet stones AND the two-toned wood beads rock. Great post, Gentle Gem. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be lying if I said this is the first time I've been told I need to write more regularly. I have a petition pending with the International Time and Date Society (?!) to add 6 extra hours to each day. If it goes through, you can bet I'll start writing more. If only...
      Love you, sweet Norbel!

      Delete
  5. I, too, am "a grown-ass woman" who squeals with delight at the sight of any reptile! As I am in the desert, frogs are a rare delight. The earrings are spot on! Squeal on, girl, squeal on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's start a club - "Squeals without Shame"! I'll bet you get plenty of lizards in the desert, those are squeal-worthy, too! Thanks so much for the kind words :)

      Delete
  6. I, too, am "a grown-ass woman" who squeals with delight at the sight of any reptile! As I am in the desert, frogs are a rare delight. The earrings are spot on! Squeal on, girl, squeal on.

    ReplyDelete