Pages

Monday, November 2, 2015

Shabby Chic Rustic Rococo


Hello there, 
November is here. And here's my latest earrings creation.


I started with the porcelain charms that I recently got from RoundRabbit, and pretty soon I knew I wanted to use the newspaper newsprint jasper heishis together with them. What a perfect match! But then the next step was the hard one. How to connect them? How to make a well proportioned whole? I tried a few solutions using thinner wire in different metals, and with the jasper beads sitting in different ways. Even trying to use more than one for each earring sometimes as a way of creating some boldness. But I rejected all of those attempts. Simply not good enough.

I knew the jasper and the porcelain charms were so good together, and I didn't want to give up on that gut feeling. So I let the thing rest for a week or so on my studio table. When I went in there the other day I realized what was needed was something with a much more rustic look to go with the other two. Hence the 20 gauge heavily oxidized copper wire. The doubled circles I created around a marker pen which made a perfect proportion of the rings. And then my ever so often occurring messy wrap. Now I was finally very pleased. 


(Handmade earring hooks by MetalFuze.)




All my best,
Malin de Koning







13 comments:

  1. These components look amazing together! The color combination is so sophisticated and yet pairs with the oxidized copper perfectly! Love these! Beautiful hoop design! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. fantastic wire job and the components are perfect together, love the contrast of colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your nice words ladies :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful!, Malin!!!! Love them, love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Newspaper Jasper is a new one for me, I really like it!! I love the rings you created too and Round Rabbit's wonderful drops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kristi, it is called newsprint jasper, not newspaper ... good you made me aware of my mistake. I love newsprint jasper. I bought those quite some time ago on LimaBeads I think it was. But they don't have them anymore :-(

      Delete
  6. I really really love these! Would you should us the steps on the wirewrapping on these one day with a tutorial?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol. And I think a tutorial is possible :-). I'd be happy to. I'll try to have it done til one of my coming posts.

      Delete
    2. Yay! These are really so innovative Malin..takes up beautiful space, but not heavy or clunky, they are light and airy...you got it!

      Delete
  7. Such a beautiful combination, Malin! Just love these earrings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never heard of newsprint (or newspaper ;-) ) jasper. Thanks for this introduction. Lovely balanced pair of earrings, in shape, size and in color.

    ReplyDelete