Pages

Monday, November 23, 2015

Kaleidoscope

 
According to Wikipedia:
A kaleidoscope is a cylinder with mirrors containing loose, colored objects such as beads or pebbles and bits of glass. As the viewer looks into one end, light entering the other end creates a colorful pattern, due to the reflection off the mirrors. Coined in 1817 by Scottish inventor Sir David Brewster, "kaleidoscope" is derived from the Ancient Greek καλός (kalos), "beautiful, beauty", εἶδος (eidos), "that which is seen: form, shape" and σκοπέω (skopeō), "to look to, to examine",[4] hence "observation of beautiful forms."


 When I was a child my parents gifted me a toy kaleidoscope for Christmas. I was mesmerized by the amazing changing colors and just could not stop looking. Pure magic.

These fun and colorful lightweight wooden art tiles made by my good friend Janice Everett of J-Lynn Jewels brought back these happy memories.I first made a couple of earrings in this style for the interview with her, as a give-away. I love the style so I made a couple more.

Combined with gemstones, Swarovski crystal and handmade ear wires from another good friend Lucy Haslam from Faerystones they make fun, lightweight and bohemian earrings.


 Which one is your favorite?
 These are now available in my shop.
Thanks for looking!
Wishing you a wonderful day,
Janine
Esfera Jewelry

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful, beautiful!! Every pair is beautiful although I'm partial to the purple pair!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much Kristi. I appreciate your comment :-)

      Delete
  2. OH MY GOSH - absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all of these Janine! I love Kaleidoscopes and so many of my designs (both Art Tiles & Jewelry) are inspired by the ever changing patterns and color combinations from them :) - I can't pick a favorite - love them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Janice. Your art tiles was my inspiration.

      Delete
  3. Four pairs - and all beauties! I need to raise my game!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those drops are great! They are lightweight and so colorful, with a bit of rustic edge. I like the length and the details of the beads. I, too, love kaleidoscopes and find them fascinating! Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for you wonderful comment Erin :-)

      Delete