Pages

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Jasper Gorditos

Green Line Jasper Earrings

Sometimes I feel the need to get back to the stones. Much as I love to play with sheet copper, wire, lampwork and Czech glass, my first love was natural stones. The pretty faceted gemstones are nice, but I feel a real connection with jasper. Jasper was referred to in the Bible, so I guess I am not alone in finding it appealing. Jasper has been sought after for thousands of years, not just for it's natural beauty but it was believed to have a protective power.

My fat little (gorditos) jasper earrings are two shapes of green line jasper, stacked atop one another with waxed linen cord wrapped around the adjoining point of the stones. I chose a wine colored waxed linen cord and seed beads to accent the earthy tan jasper stones.

Tiny little copper ball charms hang from the bottom of each earring that repeat the ball of the ear wire, and lend to an overall organic look of the blended shapes. There is something about oxidized copper with jasper that naturally blends together, and I think that is does in this arrangement.

Jasper comes in so many colors, all with that wonderful earthy quality that I love. These came from Cherry Tree Beads. There are so many jasper varieties that it is difficult to name them all, and they are usually very affordable. That means I have way more than I should have, but I can't stop myself.








Gloria Ewing

Chrysalis Too on Etsy
Chrysalis Tribal Jewelry

4 comments:

  1. How neat are these?! Love their little belts - and the dinky detail at the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate to your love for gemstones, especially jasper. Beautiful organic earrings. I could wear these every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not alone with my love of stones. They talk to me. Maybe I should get out more?

      Delete