Pages

Friday, May 4, 2018

We're All Ears :: May Inspiration :: Movement + Momentum

mo·men·tum
/mōˈmen(t)əm/
noun
  1. the quantity of motion of a moving body, measured as a product of its mass and velocity.
  2. strength or force gained by motion or by a series of events
  3. the impetus gained by a moving object.

I am extremely busy mounting an art exhibition that will go up at the end of June and run through the end of August. The show is called "Momentum: Art in Motion" and all the artwork will either have actual movement or be evocative of movement. It is lovingly inspired by my daughter and her fabulous dance troupe.

Alexander Calder is one of my very favorite artists and also an inspiration for my exhibit. His mobiles are fascinating in their simplicity. I enjoy watching and studying them as they glide through the space on the mere current of air.

Rouge et Noir, 1955, Alexander Calder
Since Calder and his mobiles are a big part of my inspiration for this exhibit, and I have a very tight deadline of getting all the work in my head out of my hands, this month we will be inspired by Alexander Calder and his modern mobiles.

In 2014 the famed auction house, Christie's, sold nine of Calder's mobiles that were inspired by a little known trip he took to India. Below is a short video of the works.


Here are links to short videos showing each of the mobiles up for auction. They ranged in value from $500,000 to almost $12,000,000! Awesome!

Earrings are the perfect embodiment of kinetic sculptures. So this month, to help keep me on track with my lofty goals of new art every day in the month of May dedicated to my exhibit, our inspiration is the mobiles of Calder for our We're All Ears challenge. Pick your favorite Calder mobile and make some earrings inspired by it!

Looking forward to seeing how you translate the theme of MOVEMENT + MOMENTUM into earrings on Friday, May 18th!

3 comments:

  1. Coincidentally, I am teaching three classes on Calder to our homeschool group. I've been watching some videos of him. What an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant wait to see what Loralee comes up with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I'd have caught this earlier. . . . I'll look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with. Thank you for the Calder videos! And as alaways, Erin, your energy, dedication and drive blow me away. There aren't enough hours in the day!! How you do it I will never understand. Hugs. And Enjoy the exhibit!

    ReplyDelete