Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

To Crystal or not to Crystal



Hello everyone, and thank you so much for joining us.

I rarely use crystals in my work. Not that I don't love them because I do. As an object they are fascinating. The sparkle and colors, twists and turns, are mesmerizing. And sometimes I wonder why I don't use them? I think there is still a part of my process that isn't fully open. Why can't I use a Swarovski crystal rather than a Lampwork bead? I don't know the answer to that, and I think the answer is buried underneath what I think I SHOULD do rather than doing what pleases me. This writing, what I am writing right now, has brought this to my attention and it is something I need to explore. I always say, with all honesty, that I make what I like, not what I think I should. Yet if I like crystals and don't use them, that seems to belie the fact. It's amazing to me what sitting down with a "pen and paper" can do. So you have now just witnessed a revelation! lol True. The title of this post was not "To Crystal or not to Crystal" before I wrote this paragraph! 

Okay, back to the task at hand. I love both of the handcrafted pieces in these earrings. The beautiful, celestial, pewter pieces were made by Vincent 'n Nooma of Inviciti. I think this is my favorite to date of their work. And the headpins at the bottom! When I received these, I honestly felt I could never do them justice; still don't think I can. They are one of the most unusual pair of headpins I've ever seen. They were made by Sasha Crow of CrowsCacheSupplies
You can view the full listing here:

I had already added the Swarovski crystal to the pewter pieces, knowing I wanted to use them, but there was nothing else going on as far as a complete design. I simply put them aside and went on to other things. I have pulled out the glass/solder headpins frequently over the last couple of months, not necessarily with the intent to use them; I just love them! Many times I thought I would simply put a bead on them that I love and keep them for myself, but that never happens. :) 

Pondering what to add to the bottom connection of the celestial pewter, the idea of clear crystals, or Crystal Quartz nuggets kept coming up as a possible, and eventually the vision of the clear glass struck and I leaped from my chair -- literally lol -- and knew that is where they would go. Adding a simple silver metal spacer and a second Swarovski bicone was perfect. 
You can view the full listing here: 


 I began to have thoughts of adding Crystal Quartz dangles here and there and more silver. . . and then I stopped myself. I thought about it, talked to myself about it. I have a tendency to want to keep going. . . I'm not sure why that is. Both of these handcrafted pieces could stand on their own, with nothing added. Yet I often persist in adding more embellishment than they need. I am really working on that!

The psychology of creativity confuses me. I've worked hard to encourage myself and allow myself to be me, to create what I want to create and be okay with it. Things changed a bit when I decided to sell my "art" in an attempt to contribute to the family income. Long story there completely unrelated, but all of a sudden I went from the joyful time spent creating to attempting to think business. I've done that most of my life, not a big deal, but THIS is very different and it became a big deal. It is still something I struggle with, but it no longer causes serious anxiety or sleepless nights. I've learned to not allow life in general to do that to me, and that includes designing and the sale of same. 

What I think is required for me, and for anyone who has that tiny (or large) feeling of insecurity about their work is to STOP (in the name of love. . .  :) comparing my work to that of other designers; no bouncing around Etsy and Pinterest viewing the work of those who are more successful than I am, more talented than I am, better at marketing than I am. Those people will always exist. There will always be those that are better than I am in all of those areas.  Loving my work and being proud of my work is a must if I am to create honest work. 

So join me in being free with your designing. Don't allow visions of the designers and shops that are more successful than you are enter into your design process. Designing that way inevitably looks contrived.

For me it continues to be a process. For the most part, I am free of it. Then a dry period, or a dry-er period comes around and the little gremlins start trying to spin the wheels. I take those little angry creatures and pop them right off their tiny stationary bikes and stop the wheels in their tracks! It is NO fun that way! 

So my bottom line is, and it's always my recommendation to en"joy" creative time; create what makes "me" happy, not what I think others might like, not what I think might sell. I think that keeps my designs honest and fresh.

Well, that was not at all the post I had planned. :) lol 

Thanks so much for stopping in. 

Yours in joy,
Norbel
She Flies Again Etsy Shop













16 comments:

  1. Thank you thank you...I needed to hear that today. I KNOW that, but I needed to hear it again. Be yourself. Just be yourself. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carla, YOU have made my day! Why it is so difficult is hard to grasp, isn't it? I am very happy that it resonated with you. Keep on! And the biggest thanks of all for taking the time to leave your comment. I sincerely appreciate it!

      Delete
  2. These earrings are just beautiful, Norbel---my favorite of all your beautiful creations! I felt like you were talking directly to me---I needed to hear that today. (Love your writing, too.) Lynn :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, I cannot thank you enough for that: your favorite! Wow! And isn't it amazing how we have such a difficult time being ourselves? I just don't understand it. I am very happy that the point was needed. And I hope you carry it with you beyond today. And I will try to do the same! :) Thank you so very much, Lynn.

      Delete
  3. Norbel, you do such an amazing job of "being your own inner artist". I recognize your work the second I see it on Pinterest. You rock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I appreciate you so much. The struggle to be genuine is sometimes more difficult than others. You, too, Rock! :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for reminding us again to be true to ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome, Terry. I often forget to remind myself. . . and that's a slippery slope. So maybe we can remember to remind each other! :) Thank you for taking the time to comment, Terry! We appreciate it!

      Delete
  5. Norbel, I guess you have no idea what a great designer you are. And what a great role model you are to us, creative souls. Yes, YOU. I know what you mean about comparing yourself with others. My blog of monday last week was about the same subject, although not nearly written as great as your post (there i go again...comparing comparing). Don't ever stop being you Norbel. As you are unique and we wouldn't want to have it any other way. Thank you for this blog and for this food for thought!
    As for your design...I recognize a genuine Norbel in an instant. With or without crystals, they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janine, you are such an incredible friend. Ya know, I wonder if my reading your post -- you're talking about your blog post here??? I think you are. I wonder if that is what put me in this frame of mind. I'll have to go back and read it again. If I had thought you inspired this post, I would absolutely have mentioned that. And yes, please stop comparing! Janine, your work is so honestly you! And it is honest and fresh and beautiful. You have the ability and the talent to take components that are not handcrafted artisan pieces and make beautiful jewelry! I remember now telling you in my comment that THAT is talent. Most often I start with something that is already striking on its own. Is that even real creativity? I'm not sure. But I know how difficult it is for me to work without them, unless I'm using my own metal or wire. That tells me a lot. You are so kind and generous with your praise, and I appreciate you more than you know. Be you, Janine. You are special, talented, loving and kind, and that shows in your work. And I thank you always and sincerely for your support. <3

      Delete
  6. This was definitely what I needed today!
    I'm usually so independent and carefree with whatever I do but it can be so easy to fall into a pattern of not being so honest with myself.
    Thanks again! Great encouragement! Also, beautiful earrings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it strange, Mari? How we can go along, as you say, independent and carefree and then at some point realize you've shifted into another space. It can take so many different forms. I really have, for the most part, stopped viewing other's work. All it does is confuse me about what I'm doing or what I'm going to do or what I should be doing. What I do like to do for inspiration, rather than other current designer's work is look for old work, anything from the '60s back to B.C. :) Thank you so much for taking the time to chat with me. I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  7. these are just stunning my dear friend, ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always appreciate your feedback, Lynn! Thank you!

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this Miss Norbel. I think that everyone feels that way. I do all the time. When that happens I have to take a step back, ask myself why I feel that way, honor the beauty of the other person's work and move one. Absolutely it is all about making what you love to make. Your passion is your focus and what you focus on becomes the world to you. I can't just create 'pretty things'... I have to have a story. Which is why I started doing the We're All Ears challenge...because I needed an impetus to create and a story to go with the creation. These earrings are quite lovely. You certainly did those precious art beads total justice! Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Erin. You have amazing talents and what seems to be an endless supply of energy that shows in everything you do. I just saw your "weather map" earrings. It is things like that that completely blow me away! You are always stretching and reaching higher. I admire everything you do. It is, indeed, comforting to know that even you have moments like that. I, too, cannot just create "pretty things." It is not what I started to do and don't want to end up there. I like the process you use of asking yourself "why you feel that way." I will try to remember that. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. It means a great deal to me. And BTW, you are perfect for the monthly challenge. I am always amazed at your imagination. Thank you!

      Delete