Pages

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Boho Navajo


You may have noticed that I have an attraction to southwestern and native American themes. The Navajo stand out among the native tribes for their skills in weaving, pottery, basketry and maybe most of all for their luscious turquoise and silver jewelry. I have always admired Navajo art, and purchased my first piece of authentic Navajo silver jewelry in 1984. You can probably see native American influence in much of my work.

For this design, I decided to keep the focus on the verdigris brass conchos from Dime Store Emporium on Etsy. The weight of these brass components is perfect and I absolutely love the rustic look of the verdigris patina. The conchos are stamped but not flimsy. Their weight is substantial but not overly heavy for use in earrings. I arranged tribal looking Czech seed beads in colorful columns to coordinate with the verdigris patina, and added copper and bronze accents.











Gloria Ewing




Chrysalis Too on Etsy

Chrysalis Jewelry on Artfire

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful inspiration and design. The colors are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are gorgeous, perfect inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the motifs on the southwest handcrafts. This is a beautiful representation of them! Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the little pops of colour with that soft green - lovely earrings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love the color in these, from the patina shields to the bright pops in the beads below. . .these are really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful feel and colors here! Those verdigris conchos are fabulous. (And now another store I need to visit!)

    ReplyDelete