Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Seigaiha (青海波) Blue Wave Of The Sea

Happy March, Beady Peeps!
  
All I can think of is warmer weather as I'm sitting in the studio with the windchill temperatures in the negative digits this morning!  As Erin wrote for this month's challenge "Make It Stop!" - she cracks me up!  

Looking for something interesting to show you this week I kept picking up these ceramic charms made by Golem Studio. They feature a traditional Japanese pattern of layered concentric arches symbolic of waves. This wave pattern represents surges of good luck and also can signify power and resilience.  The wave symbol was originally used in China on ancient maps to represent the sea.


The connecting beads I chose for this design are by Jon Burgess.  They are bone like in appearance but made of polymer clay and very lightweight.  They also have a lantern-like shape and worked beautifully holding the wire in place.

I used wire with a thicker gauge to appear rope-like, then messy-wrapped the tops to look like the ropes you'd see lying on a dock.  

I think this pair had a lovely blend of materials and textures. 


Well, I hope these bring good luck and better weather soon!  Until next time!

Thank you for stopping in!

Loralee xo



9 comments:

  1. Great combination Loralee. Love the shapes and colours x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lindsay xo that blue is fantastic and I also have a pair in a hot orange :D

      Delete
  2. Those are gorgeous!! I don't think I've ever seen those Golem charms before... they're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I got them at B&B two years ago (I think). I also have them in a vivid orange. Maybe this will inspire him to make more and other colors :D

      Delete
  3. Oh, Loralee....these earrings are just beautiful! Your explanation of your use of thicker wire to represent ropes is perfect. Like Sarajo, I have never seen these Golem charms before but I will be looking for them at B&B in June! Thanks for sharing your creations with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary! I also attached a link to his store if you click on their shop name. He is also on facebook and has a buying group. I can get you the link if you'd like :)

      Delete
  4. Love these Loralee. The contrast in color is so wonderful. And I always love how you photograph your jewelry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the imagery of ropes lying on the docks. I love it when jewelry tells a story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the little details in these Loralee. Beauties

    ReplyDelete