Pages

Thursday, May 23, 2019

Chain, Chain, Chain...

My newest earrings started with these tiny (under 2 cm long) rustic black clay hearts with their pretty metallic bronze glaze... 


Made by Sarah Kandell-Gritzmaker of Slate Studios Supply, these little hearts are one-of-a-kind pieces that beautifully carry off both rustic and delicate.  I wanted that balance to be the focus of what I brought to the rest of the elements of the earrings I would create with the them. 

Since the ceramic hearts are so small, everything else needed to be equally petite, including these little bits of sparkle, 7 x 5 mm Czech glass rondelles, opal with mercury style and AB finish...


Maybe the most interesting thing, though, are the bits of chain that became crucial parts of the earrings.  I cut two "crescents" from a strand of antiqued copper crescent moon chain (below) from Beadshop.com.  (They also carry this chain in bright silver tone, antiqued silver, antiqued brass, and gold.) 


In the finished earrings, the copper crescents from the chain remind me of armor, a contrast to the pearly Czech rondelles and the delicate open-wire petals of the copper bead caps.  


When I finished the earrings, I wrapped some 15/0 silver-lined pearl seed beads to each copper ear wire to continue the quiet sparkle.   


These little earrings (less than 2 inches long) remind me of the famous quotation from "A Midsummer Night's Dream" about the petite yet very strong-minded Hermia:  "Though she be but little, she is fierce." 💗
 

Thanks so much for reading!  I'll be back again on June 13.

xo
Meridy

My Shop





9 comments:

  1. Just the finest balance of materials, in an eminently pleasing arrangement. Fit for a Goddess Warrior. Absolutely love the composition of these!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sister Karen! I had a great time with these, especially playing with the chain! 💗

      Delete
  2. These earrings are gorgeous Meridy. I agree, the chain links are a crucial part of the design. It gives the design an edge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janine, thank you! It's always a process of discovery putting things together to see how they'll fit together. These earrings were really fun!

      Delete
  3. I really love these earrings! Different textures, subtle colors, and shapes that compliment each other. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, Mary! The textures and shapes were what really drew the pieces together for me--then I knew I wanted to put them together in the simplest way. Who knew that chain would be the key? 💗

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well these are gorgeous! Love all of the individual elements. And together -wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you so much, Sue! Much appreciated! 💗

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete