Pages

Friday, November 4, 2016

We're All Ears :: November Inspiration

I love to see how things are made. Maybe it is because I live with a manufacturing engineer, but I think it goes back a lot further than knowing my husband! When I was a kid, I would be fascinated by the inner workings of things. I might take things apart...but I was not all that good about putting them back together. But that was okay, because I liked the pieces that came out of those things just as much.

I am also fascinated by those inventions that people created to make a process run smoother. It always makes me wonder how someone came up with the idea and all the things that went into making that machine to do the job quicker and easier.

So it was with great delight that I discovered a set of videos of hand-crank candy machines from the 1800s that are being put to good use today by a candy-making company out of Tallahassee, Florida called Public Displays of Confection. They have rescued these rusty relics, refurbished them and even resurrected some of the vintage confection recipes.

Can you say "yum?"

This is one of several videos on their YouTube channel that shows how they use the old equipment to make these candies. This video shows the making of a Victorian Nector Drop and answers the question, why are Lemon Drops called Drops? It is not what you think!



I love the color of this candy, the golden honey yellow is so soothing. I love the process of taking the molten liquid sugar and molding it into long ropes to feed into the machine. I love the fact that this is essentially a vintage rolling mill, with all the gears and cranks and brass shapes and the lovely patina of time. This crank machine has a very steampunk vibe. I even love the clever backsplash they have above their candy cooling table!

What inspires you about this video?

The good news is that if you aren't in the Tallahassee area, you can still order their candy through their website www.pd.net.

Make some earrings inspired by this video and come back on November 18th to reveal what you made inspired by these sweet confections!

7 comments:

  1. That is so much fun!!! Boy would I love to have some of those texture rollers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an interesting video (and a fascinating process); it is making me hungry too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would to love to sample some of these candies. They look and sound yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neatest video ever. I ordered some Nectar Drops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely, very cool process. Would love to try that "nectar" flavor. He makes it sound incredible. Really getting the steampunk vibe- even before I read you said the same thing. The candy of course looks exactly like amber. Interestingly I was just playing around with amber beads the other day. I can see great visions for this. Very inspiring. Thanks for sharing Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow...that is really interesting, I don't live that far from Tallahassee, might take a road trip there. Great piece!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fun to watch the candy drop making process!

    ReplyDelete