Pages

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Chocolate Jimmies

My mother used to make the most wonderful cookies. We called them "Chocolate Shot Cookies." They were buttery with a slightly oaty texture rolled around the edges in chocolate shot, otherwise known as sprinkles or jimmies

{This picture - and the recipe! - can be found on the Tango Mango blog}
 My mother no longer bakes cookies like this. Truthfully, she likely wouldn't remember ever baking them anyway. She has early onset Alzheimer's and so a lot of the traditions that we built up over 67 years seem to have vanished into thin air. But I remember the way these cookies melted in my mouth and the smell of butter in the air. Perhaps I will see if I can take command her recipe box and resurrect some of these old standards.


I had these little ceramic snowflake charms from Lisa Boucher of ClayworksNH (who is having a SALE on all her holiday items including these sweet charms!) on my table for another project that I just shared on the Art Bead Scene. I thought these with the little flecks of brown looked just like those cookies. I wrapped some wire around the charms and strung on some chocolate colored peanut beads. Looks just like those chocolate jimmies my mother used on the Chocolate Shot Cookies. Takes me right back in time.


Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!


4 comments:

  1. You've totally channeled the cookies!! I really need to get my peanut bead on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Hello Pia! If you click the link under the picture you will be taken to the recipe. I was unsuccessful in my attempt, but will try again! Enjoy the day! Erin

      Delete
  3. Beautiful earrings, and the cookies look delicious! For many years my grandmother made anise cookies and then my aunt took on the tradition. She is giving it up, and I have picked up the torch and will practice those this summer so I can have them perfected for shipping by next Christmas.

    ReplyDelete