Pages

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Glacier Green

Glacier Milk
This color of green is exactly the color of "glacial milk"--that milky, opaque pale jade green of a high glacial lake.  In fact, it reminds me of Grinnell Lake in Glacier National Park.  I wish I could post a picture of it here! But I don't have any of my own. You'll have to check the link above! HERE is another view. It really does look this opaque and green in person!

These earrings feature all sterling silver construction, recycled glass from Happy Mango Beads in old-fashioned Coke-bottle sea green, and little 4mm faceted Czech rounds in "prairie green."

I picture these with a fun, clean-lined summer ensemble made for beachside shopping:
Via Polyvore
(Aquamarine and aqua quartz bracelet from Cathy Danz.)

You can see more in my Etsy shop, HERE.

12 comments:

  1. We visited Glacier NP a few summers ago and I tried to find some local (as in MT) jewelry to buy on our trip to represent the magnificent color of the water. I couldn't find anything close! You hit the color on the head with these earrings. Just perfect! Too bad you weren't selling in a gift store out in Glacier because I totally would have bought them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How awesome you visited "the Crown of the Continent"! I've been in the GNP gift stores many times myself, and it looked like the same stuff you find in every other park/resort area across the country. I've felt similar frustration myself when traveling, because I couldn't find anything truly "local". I think it's hard to make a living with local wholesale sales with labor-intensive products, especially if you have to deliver it all yourself. If you're in the area again, be sure to check out the shopping in Whitefish!

      Delete
  2. I know that illusive glacier lake color too. And you've managed to capture it so well in these earrings. Just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful earrings, and I love your design board too! Pretty pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so perfect and I love the outfit, too. Everyone is right; you really did nail it with the color!

    I think that a lot more park and museum shops are beginning to warm up to the idea of selling handmade items--especially jewelry. I've just gotten a few pieces into a museum shop (consignment) and I'm in talks with a few more. So, definitely ask--whether you are a jewelry designer who wants your work placed in a shop or a tourist who would prefer a handmade souvenir. The more that they hear requests for handmade souvenirs, the greater the chance that they will devote a small section of the shop to locally handmade items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of my favorite stuff from over the years was in museum shops, and museum catalogs. Your pieces would fit right in, Susan! Lovely.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for such a sweet compliment! :)

      Delete
  5. Love these earrings Keirsten, especially your wire wrapping! They have inspired me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see we chose the same bag from Polyvore! Excellent.

      Delete
  6. I love the design, and the color of the beads is just gorgeous! GNP is one place we've never been, but it's on my list of places to see.

    ReplyDelete