Pages

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Entwined Earrings

My challenge was simple - create a pair of earrings that were mostly wire and used my tiny handcrafted beads.  After several attempts, I finally arrived at these oval hoops that are entwined in steel wire - looking very much like a bramble of twigs in a forest and rather nesty.  Nesty things make me all sorts of happy, so with that I called it a day.


Here are a few of the trials and errors.  My first thought was a wire Christmas tree with seed bead lights that you can see on the top.  Cute and I may revisit and refine the idea before the season is over.  My next idea was hoops with seed beads and wire wrapped.  I like them, but I need to figure out some of the construction. I will save that for another day.  And finally, I tried round hoops with the wire wrapped around and they didn't quite work for an earring.  But with a little shaping the circle became the oval above and I went from there.

A seemingly simple pair of earrings took quite a bit before I was able to pare them down to a shape and design that best complimented the bead.  And that's what goes into creating a simple pair of earrings!

Heather Powers' blogs at www.humblebeads.blogspot and more of her work can be found in her Etsy shop.

2 comments:

  1. They turned out great! I love wire and have been using it more and more. It's fun and versatile :) just like me!

    ReplyDelete