Pages

Friday, July 17, 2015

We're All Ears :: July Reveal


"The quilters start at one of the corners of the sari and work their way around it, usually in a counterclockwise direction. They fix patches made from the family's old clothing to the sari with a running back stitch that eventually covers the entire quilt, both patchwork top and sari bottom. Some quilters create small, close-spaced stitches, others spread them further apart. The stitches exhibit a distinctive rhythm that is part of the individual quilter's visual signature."
~Professor Henry Drewal

There is color and life in these textiles and a lot of heart. What I was intrigued by most was the manner in which the Siddi quilts are constructed. The idea of starting in one corner and working around the outside to the inside in a sort of rectangular spiral, if you will. That was the impetus for my earring design.


The spiral is such an ancient symbol. It is representative of the cycles of birth, life and death, which is a fitting image for these quilts. They are often given to babies in their cribs and I suspect that they are carried for comfort all the days of their lives. The way they spiral the winding path of fabric patches is quite like a tactile labyrinth. Labyrinths are sacred spaces slowing down time in the meditative act of walking one. I imagine that the stitches in these quilts are like one foot in front of the other, slowing time down, focusing on the change that comes with building the textile, living a life. Walking a labyrinth is a metaphor for life—the path shifts in unexpected ways, sometimes diverting you from your goal, but ultimately leading you to the center. Unlike a maze, there are no dead-ends and you can't get lost.



I limited myself to a single, continuous piece of wire, much like the threads that are woven in the blankets. I tried adding some simple color with tiny beads and textiles in the form of some sari silk. But they seemed too fussy. So I opted to leave them plain.



As I was creating these I sought out some appropriate background music and opened up my Pandora channel for Cirque du Soleil music. I really like the haunting melodies, the ethereal voices and the "cirquish" nonsensical lyrics with a world-beat sort of vibe. Listening to such music helps me get into a flow. I hit upon some Adiemus on the channel that at once had a Celtic and African vibe to it (you might recognize their musical style from the movie Avatar). I could imagine the joyful rhythms being hummed as the Siddi women worked on a community quilt. The distinctive rhythms of their stitching echoing in the song of life.


These earrings are quite long, about 2 1/2-3" each, yet extremely lightweight. Their continuous form is like the road that each of us is on. We may not know what the journey ahead will give to us, but there is a definite beginning and and ending, with plenty of twists and turns in between to keep things interesting. I call these Life Labyrinth earrings, and each pair, just like each one of our journeys, is different.


 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let's see what you created!
Please take the time to hop around to the participants.
Leave kind, encouraging comments. Visit their shops. Make new friends!    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
An InLinkz Link-up
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Get the InLinkz code for your blog!
 

15 comments:

  1. I love your labyrinth interpretation of the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you have used the ancient spiral symbol to weave into your own thoughtful interpretation of this traditional folk art...sensitive and clever xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always interested in your interpretation of these challenges...these are right on! Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your designs Erin! They are beautiful and intriguing. The rectangle is my favourite if I had to pick one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the direction you took for these, Erin! I'm glad you didn't add any extra embellishments... they are perfect just the way they are. Thanks for inspiring us once again this month. As always, I look forward to what you come up with next month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Each pair is so unique and beautiful - I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was so smart...my fav is the rectangle...thanks so much for another awesome challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Erin, the way you write about your designs is so intriguing. I've read every word :) You're talented in many ways. Great earrings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the kindest compliment, Miss Oksana! Thank you! You are my 'something good' today! Enjoy the day. Erin

      Delete
  9. I would never had thought to go in that direction. You always really think outside the box. Great job and great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great earrings and your idea behind them is spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Life Labyrinth earrings are very interesting and your wirework is perfect. Very unique and lightweight earrings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so wanted to participate in this challenge and it completely skipped my head. your approach was unpredictable, rudimentary but also very fresh. Not a bead or even color in sight and yet it tells the story. Great job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why I always leave the InLinkz open for at least a week. Still time to make some earrings if you care to, Miss Divya! Enjoy the day! Erin

      Delete
  13. What a beautiful interpretation! You always have such a unique way of bringing the inspiration photos to life!

    ReplyDelete