Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Rustic Gemstone Hoops

Copper Gemstone Hoop Earrings

It's not often that I have the patience to sit down and seriously attempt anything this intricate, but I managed to overcome my tendency toward ADHD and finish these wire wrapped hoops just in time for today's post. I used a new jig to form loops for the bottom of these teardrop shaped copper hoops, and then added a little more embellishment with the wrapped seed beads. My goal was to make a pair of gem laden hoops that aren't too heavy or overwhelming.

It can sometimes be difficult to capture all of its beauty in photos, but I have always loved using labradorite in jewelry. It has a lovely iridescent quality along with its tantalizing flashes of blue. Here the dangles are faceted onion brios wrapped in oxidized copper wire. As a contrast to the labradorite, I use London Blue Topaz for the center drops, wrapped in the same style as the labradorite.

The result is a boho southwestern mix of rustic copper and glittering gemstones.












Gloria Ewing

Chrysalis Tribal Jewelry
Chrysalis Too on Etsy

11 comments:

  1. I love how the beads glow from within - beautiful design and clever use of hoops

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are stunning, one of my all time favorite stones and they are sure shimmering in this beautiful design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are absolutely gorgeous. I also admire your working on a fiddly pair. I love this look but also shy away from it due to lack of patience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ann! I wish I had more self discipline so I could do more of these.

      Delete
  4. You've totally captured their beauty Gloria! Love the wire work and the blue/flash on copper- is fantastic! Love these!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Cindy! I have some more ideas for gemstones and copper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning!! Gorgeous hoops! I love the combo of copper and labradorite. I had made a set (necklace and earrings) a few years ago and that got snatched up really quickly. It's a beautiful combo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nathalie! There are so many possible combinations with labradorite! These earrings sold the same day I listed them.

      Delete
  7. Oh how I love Labradorite! The stone is mysterious and ancient looking to me. Like a tribal talisman, with its flash of blue lightning. I love it with the copper and those swirls for the dangles are perfect! Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete