Pages

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Take a Risk


In a departure from the usual format of focusing on the inspiration for my idea, I would like to probe into the selection process for blogging about my earrings. I'm sure each of the participating artists on Earrings Everyday has her own method for building a post around their earring creations. Maybe you are curious about mine?

Detailed advance planning doesn't work as well for me as spontaneity. Please don't interpret that to mean I'm just being lazy! The truth is I cannot decide which direction to go until the last moment. So I usually have three newly made earring pairs from which to choose, one being a variation of a signature design of mine, in other words "in my comfort zone". The pietersite earrings below fall into that category. The other two pairs are the risky ones. This time, I have one pair of very rustic hammered and hinged copper earrings with a red patina (pictured below). I also have the pair I chose to feature above that are the most risky of the three, out on the edge in a primitive style. For the body of these earrings, I used my own bone shaped polymer clay connectors. The roughly wrapped oxidized copper wire emphasizes the primitive character, as do my handmade copper ear wires. The dangling beads are Czech glass with an aged Picasso finish.

"Comfort zone" wire wrapped matched pietersite stones with leather.

Medium risk, relentlessly hammered copper earrings in a 2-part hinged design with less than precise stamping and a red patina.









Gloria Ewing

Chrysalis Tribal Jewelry
Chrysalis Too on Etsy

12 comments:

  1. Love them all! The bone earrings are super cool and yes very primitive which is what I like so much about them! And the bottoms pair, relentlessly hammered lol, love that description! The pietersite stone is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this post Gloria! My favorite pair is the bottom pair...relentlessly hammered! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of them are very lovely Gloria! I would pick the comfort zone as my favs only because I love the stones- the colors are just amazing and I like the tighter wrapping on the wire and it appears some fabric? under there? Really love that set-but how fun to read about your process. I enjoyed it! Best to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindy! I should have mentioned that it is leather under the wire wrapping.

      Delete
  4. They are all gorgeous! I love your post :) If I have to pick 'one' favorite, I'd go for the comfort zone pair because of the stone/colors too, and I LOVE leather :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the earrings featured first. those pc "bones" are very cool and your rough wire wrapping looks great. They are all great but these are my faves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really interesting to read about your selection process. I'm still havering about which pair I'll go with on Thursday! I really like each of your pairs here - can't choose between comfort zone and the out-on-a-limb bones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely love that hammered copper pair! I'm the same way when posting here - no method to the madness, just whatever strikes my fancy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am happy to hear that I'm not alone, and really interested in how others approach blogging. Because I am basically an introvert, I find it very challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All cool and all uniquely you! I do love the simplicity of the middle ones, the shape of the stone appeals to me. But I do love the hinged look for a risk! For me it is all about the inspiration. I just cannot create in a vacuum! That is selfishly why I started employing the We're All Ears challenge... precisely because that is what I needed! I hope that people are inspired by my off the wall choices and that they allow self-expression. I best get to work on my November earrings tonight for the challenge tomorrow! (See? I wait until the very last minute!) Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  10. I especially love your "medium risk" earrings--great shapes, and I love the two-partness. I also love the shape of your polymer clay "bone" elements--you are emboldening me to use some of my Scorched Earth "bones"!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keirsten, I can't wait to see what you do with Scorched Earth bones, but I am certain that it will be captivating. I have some of Petra's bones too, that are just waiting for the right idea to come along.

    ReplyDelete