Pages

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

A Twisted Gesture

So have any of you ever taken an art class where the instructor had you do gesture drawings? Quick "first impression" line drawings that are less about accuracy and more about getting a feel for shapes, perspectives, and movement. They can almost be called a scribble or a doodle...capturing a macro idea in a short period of time, usually in about 30 seconds.


Well, the birth of my playfully named "twisted root" earring series is loosely grounded in this idea. Take textured copper wire, beat and twist it to hell, and then solder it into conceptual shapes. Do it quick and hot without a focus on perfection and more of an emphasis on instinct. The end results are deliciously primitive, organic, and wickedly pagan. I've had so much fun the past few months playing with this concept. I find it allows for a completely different kind of freedom from the traditional beaded approach. 

This particular pair has been set aside (read: hoarded for myself). The shape was inspired by the "devil's nests" from the TV series "True Detective". Yes, I'm a dork. But I just couldn't stop thinking about those dark mysterious beautiful little bundles.

It's fun to explore chaos in design. It can produce surprising results :) 

Happy Wednesday!
Nikki
LoveRoot on Etsy

9 comments:

  1. Love your blog Nikki! Your earrings aren't bad either! LOL :) You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You come up with some amazing designs, these are just too cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the twisted wire! The shape and the rough hammered look of the metal is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant! I don't know how to draw and have never really taken any art classes. This is fascinating. I love this style as it is very exciting and kinetic in a way. It feels alive to me! Make more. Fabulous! Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa!! This is pretty darn cool!! I agree, it's brilliant! No wonder you are hoarding them!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are just super cool and beautiful! And fun!

    ReplyDelete