Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Going Tribal


 


My earliest pieces of jewelry were slightly southwestern in style. It is the tribal element in southwestern that is so appealing to me. Along the way I have discovered other tribal styles including Hill Tribe silver, Peruvian ceramic, Asian mala, Indonesian glass. I love them all!
 
My personal favorite for variety, vivid colors and imaginative use of shape are the African beads. Primitive hand painted Krobo beads are captivating and full of personality. Brass beads are cast using the same method for a thousand years and maintain that ancient character. Large and small trade beads (originally from Europe) in bright colors have circulated within tribal Africa for hundreds of years.  These amazing African beads are now becoming more readily accessible, and they inspire me to go more and more tribal.
Gloria Ewing
 
 

Rustic Copper & Trade Bead Earrings


Saturday Morning
















 

10 comments:

  1. Love your tribal style! I especially love that second pair of earrings, those patinaed crescents are wonderful! Love the colors in your outfit, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to have you join us Gloria, always love your earrings!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tribal style is one of my favorites. Love both pairs especially the bottom with it's Southwest colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the group Miss Gloria! I love your tribal style. Very unique. Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! How fun are those!! Welcome to the group! You are going to love it here :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are really cool! The second pair are my favorite ;)

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love my Krobo beads but find them challenging to design with, Gloria. The pairing of the colourful recycled glass with the hammered copper looks amazing! I am looking forward to seeing lots more of your work using this type of bead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the Ghanaian Krobo beads...especially how you've paired them with the textured copper. I'm returning to Ghana on Tuesday for two weeks and plan if at all possible on refreshing my bead stash with some more of these beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to our group Gloria! I'm in love with the second pair of earrings..just gorgeous! Perfect outfit you picked as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these. Really like the tribal look. Southwest really appeals to me, too. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete