Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Spring Lilies


Some lilies seemed appropriate for this early spring day--calla lilies, tightly wrapped, on the cusp of opening. These are in copper, with roughly tumbled aquamarines like giant water drops. The copper was textured using an old Mexican coin from the 1960s. I've been experimenting with these slender, rolled shapes, and have a little pile of them waiting on my work bench. Some will become earrings, like these, and some will hold ribbons or strands of beads in a necklace.

I can't help picturing these with the pale slate blue sari silk ribbon I just bought from Mudhound Studio:

I think that will perhaps be my next project--a large copper lily, with a waterfall of palest blue aquamarine, and some slate blue ribbon.

See more at my Etsy shop, or get a peek behind the scenes at my blog.

16 comments:

  1. You say you texturized this with a coin---do you have a rolling mill? If not, how did you do this "by hand?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was eager to see your lilies in action - they look fab! And you are right to see them with that sari - that's gonna rock :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teri, I annealed the copper, taped it to my coin, and then hammered the crap out of it with a big hammer. Re-annealed and then shaped. I don't have a rolling mill. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. http://www.cerebraldilettante.blogspot.com/2012/03/power-of-money.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how you turned those awesome "cones" into the coolest earrings!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely beautiful. Can't wait to see them with the ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous and love the texture on the copper cones. After your description of how you achieved this, you might be hearing some very loud whacking going on around the world tonight. I gotta try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like those. So cool that the metal is textured with coins.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous!!! The texture is amazing. And I love the contrast of the warm copper with the pale aquamarine beads!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Damn. Those are the coolest cones around. When you decide to start making them in batches and need to sell them, do be sure to look me up.
    ;-)
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are absolutely stunning Keirsten! Like Erin said, please let me know when you decide to sell them :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the curl in the cones and how the bead fits into them like a glove! Amazing they're so shapely after you beat the crap out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are really lovely. I love the watery blue beads paired with the textured copper.

    ReplyDelete