Pages

Monday, October 23, 2017

Quoth the Raven, Never More...

I was introduced to Edgar Allan Poe's poem, "The Raven", in grade school and that was the beginning of a love of the dark, mysterious side of life. I went to the library and got a book of Poe's work and read it in one sitting.

What is it about the fascination of the dark, mysterious afterlife? Some people relish it and celebrate in everyway imaginable. Some people are horrified by the whole concept.

The celebration of the dead and spirits have been going on for centuries and around the world. There isn't a society that didn't have something to commemorate the passing of the spirit from our world to the next.

My favorite is All Hallows Eve, or Samhaim, when it was believed that the wall between our world and the spirit world was thin enough for the spirits to pass back through and harm their crops. 

As you can see I love this time of year and the ancient ways of celebrating the thinness of the wall between the spirit world and ours. So with no further adieu, I present my dark and mysterious earrings for All Hallows Eve....

My first earrings, "Lenore" from Poe's poem, have fantastic lady skull cameos in copper from Kristi Bowman-Gruel, fabulous coppery beaded beads from Rebecca Anderson, chocolate brown lampwork spacers by Jodie Marshal and teardrop copper charms from Joanne Tinley.



Thinking of Frankenstein, I used another set of amazing, goulish copper charms from Kristi Bowman-Gruel. I attached some green and brown ceramic drop charms from Sarah Kendell-Gritzmaker, and brass paddle connectors I wrapped a scrap piece of sari silk with a twist of brass wire and coppery-brass delica seed beads.


And last, but what I consider the darkest is my "Mina" earrings I made inspired from the classic story of Count Dracula. I used star cut garnet gemstones wrapped around brass skeleton leaves with chocolate black Czech leaves finished off with a tendril of brass wire. 




Happy Halloween,
Jetta

17 comments:

  1. Fabulous trio and 3 of my favourite books to boot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindsay! I do love these books. I think I need to reread all of them. It has been several years :)

      Delete
  2. Love all your earrings and the story behind them.

    PS Those garnets are lush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lesley! I have a bit of a weakness for garnets!

      Delete
  3. There was no Halloween tradition in the area where I grew up so. I guess that is why I don't get the Halloween vibe or fever. But I love your earrings, no matter what time of the year. Especially the last pair, which has a somewhat Gothic feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine...I think my love of Goth and mysterious came more from the books I read and movies I saw with my mom growing up. I do love the last pair of earrings, too. They are dark without an overtone of Day of the Dead :)

      Delete
  4. This time of year is such a contrast in colour and tones - you capture the change beautifully. x Jacky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jacky! I love fall colors, the change of seasons is so exciting. x

      Delete
  5. I love all things dark, broody and a little bit goth. These are all beautiful, love hearing about your inspiration too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie! I love hearing about everyone's inspiration. And I love sharing what inspires me, too.

      Delete
  6. All three pair are wonderful and I'm always happy to see my copper used in beautiful jewelry!! Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristi! They were a joy to create with and both pairs were whipped up into earrings in no time ;) I just love their gingerbread color!

      Delete
  7. Oooh, Jetta, these are wonderful earrings...dark and brooding and gorgeous! I especially love the star-cut garnets pair...just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well hello!! These are all fantastic! Love those Dracula inspired ones especially x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jetta, you do this style very well. Well, you do every style very well. :) Love them all; the third pair catches my heart.

    ReplyDelete