Pages

Monday, August 14, 2017

My Precious, My Own...

Hello! Happy Monday to you all. This is Norbel speaking (writing :) ). I'm sure many of you have noticed the number of changes there have been in our Artisan Contributors over the last several months. One thing I know for sure about life is that nothing stays the same. Things change; lives change. And that is simply how it is. Our wonderful, talented friends that have moved on are really missed. . . . by us and I'm sure by our readers. . . but there is always a silver lining. 😁 And of course, that is that we are able to welcome in wonderfully talented, new-to-Earrings Everyday artisan jewelry designers. You will be meeting three! We are very happy to welcome today Rejetta Sellers, who sells from her shop on Etsy, Jettabug Jewelry. We call her Jetta. We are sure you will enjoy both Jetta herself and her earrings. Here she is! Welcome, Jetta!


***

I love using artisan beads in my jewelry. I don't seem to have a favorite material: lampwork, ceramic polymer clay, enamel, patina, leather, painted wood. You name it and I will probably have some of it!

One thing I find myself doing is hoarding pieces from a favorite artist and only letting some go if I am able to buy more of their beads. Umm....I wonder if I am the only person to do this?


You see, for me, those little works of art are like collecting paintings for some people. Or having a favorite vase maker that you spend hours tracking down online. Going to an artisan bead makers shop is like going to a gallery for me. Being able to buy their work is thrilling and I display my pieces in clear boxes. My most prized pieces I display on my work desk to see them every time I create.

I made these earrings to sell in my shop, photographed them, and even wrote up my description. Then I found out Elaine Ray was retiring from making her unique ceramic pieces like these denim blue flowers.


A week or two later Teresa Hulley of Bo Hulley Beads announced she was taking a hiatus from bead making to pursue another dream. These amazing ceramic cream heart headpins had been in my collection for a while and look so perfect with Elaine Ray's flowers.

So these earrings never became available in my shop. They hang with my other favorite earrings and I wear them often. I love showing off my wearable art.


More artists have retired from bead making since the day these two ladies retired. And my bead hording has hit a new level of will-never-let-it-go. Do you have beads you can't let go of for one reason or another? I would love to hear about them. I might have some in my collection, too!

Jetta
JettabugJewelry

8 comments:

  1. Woohooo Jetta, welcome, welcome. So happy to see your here! You know I am a great fan of your components and jewelry. These earrings are beautiful. I am not familiar with the work of Elaine. But very familiar with the work of Teresa. I have hoarded many of her beads and I miss shopping her beads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't blame you for not selling these, it's so hard to part with such precious beads.I have some of Bo's hearts I can't sell. Lovely to see you posting here, you know I'm a huge fan :) Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the warm welcome ladies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jetta, you know how happy I am to have you here with us, but I'll say it again! I'm soooooooooooooooooo glad you're here with us. :) The earrings are soft and lovely. I, unfortunately, don't have artisan beads from either of them! But in answer to your question, yes, I do have many beads that I may never part with. Sometimes I have artisan beads for several years because I've simply never been inspired to use them; and then there are others that are very special to me that may never go beyond my stash. And I have described, just as you have, that these tiny treasures are art, to me, and I collect them like others collect. . . well. . . . whatever they collect. Just because most people outside of the jewelry world likely wouldn't know about them, doesn't mean they are any less an art form. You and I are on the same page in that respect. Again, welcome! I do hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks bunches, Norbel, for welcoming me so warmly and getting me started! I do love my artisan beads and some do sit in my stash for years because I just haven't thought of a way to use them. Then there are other artisan beads that will not be going anywhere! Maybe I should get shadow boxes and put my beads on my work room walls ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jetta, I'm so happy you're here too! I adore your work! Yay, this is so exciting!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love these earrings so much! These are a collection piece now given the ladies have retired.... such special beads and components. Truly lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love you, love your jewellery. But you most x

    ReplyDelete