Pages

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

A Grand Day Out

 
Last Sunday but one I took a trip over to Yorkshire, to the Harrogate Rock, Gem and Bead show. It's only a couple of hours drive and it was a lovely sunny day.  The show is twice a year and there is a lady there who doesn't sell on line whose wares are always top quality. 
 
Even though I know he'll be bored  after 10 minutes,  I'm not going to refuse an offer to drive me (then I can gloat over my goodies all the way home!) so along comes him indoors.  Sure enough, after a late lunch in the café and 10  minutes around the show, off he goes to listen to football on the radio outside. I proceed to cram a basket with fantastic gemstones with gay abandon. An hour later, I'm almost ready to go,  and back he trots looking decidedly sheepish. 'Er, don't be mad' he says ' but I fell asleep in the car with the radio on, and there might have been a door open.......anyway, the battery's flat. '
Where are our jump leads? Lent to our son. Cue sitting on the grass outside waiting over an hour for Green Flag to come and start it. Show's closed, café shut. Hmmmm. It's a good job it was worth it.
 
So here are this weeks earrings, with some fabulous slab larimar, the pink picked out with etched rose quartz, and aquamarine above. Those ice blue enamelled copper earwires  are from Lucy Haslam's new range.  
 
 





I also had a little foray into making a pair to echo one of Vogue's predictions for AW 2017; pink and deep green. These are malachite and rose quartz with gold, and Lucy's emerald earwires. Wasn't too sure about them, but they sold instantly from an Instagram pic, so maybe Vogue do know what they are about!  Do you study fashion predictions when designing, or just follow your heart? Or maybe both?

 
 
See you in two weeks
 
Lindsay
 
 
 

22 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry Lindsay but I had a laugh about your story. Well...more time to gloat over your precious goodies while waiting...
    That slab larimar is wonderful, beautiful earrings! And I am soooo happy Lucy is back in town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, he keeps me entertained Janine! Hmmmm....

      Delete
  2. Certainly was worth the wait I think, fabulous earrings!, just purchased some unpolished malachite myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'll be interested to see what you make with it Nicola. I've used it many times, but never with pink x

      Delete
  3. If I hadn't been north of the border I would have been there myself. Beautiful creations x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe see you next time Dawn! Make sure you have jump leads ....

      Delete
  4. These are fab! You got some pretty beads, but a shame it closed while you were waiting for your battery to be jumped. You could have played a lot longer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jetta, with how much I had already spent, I wouldn't have dared stay!

      Delete
  5. A pair of pretty earrings! How heavy are the larimar earrings? Do you find that people prefer lighter weights, or doesn't it really make a difference? And light pink and dark green, and gold? I wouldn't have thought to put those together but how nice they came out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathie, they were quite heavy but as long as you warn your customer it's usually fine. You need very sturdy earwires for them - the circular ones are perfect.

      Delete
  6. Oh these are Gorgeous! You've picked out the colours perfectly
    Sorry about the car...poor hubby. Have you let him live it down yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make the most of it...days of torture yet to go!

      Delete
  7. As long as you end up with the upper hand it's all a good outcome! Those slabby ones are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The earrings are delicious--the larimar is so nicely texturey, not that that's a word. I'm sorry you and the husband had the problem with your car (it sounds like something that would happen to me and Rog!), but it sounds like you made it home with lots of treasures anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure did...and it was a sunny day, so not a tragedy x

      Delete
  9. Lindsay, I do love those Larimar slabs. . . . A LOT! :) And softening the roughness (not that you needed to!) with the matte finish Rose Quartz looks so perfect. I don't usually follow fashion predictions. . . .but pink and green is something you and I remember, Meridy and Kim too, likely, from back in the day. It made its rounds, I'd say in the sixties, but not sure. It is always a combination that catches my eye, yet I don't think I have ever made a piece of jewelry with it. That is now going to be on my to do list. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pink and silvery green was certainly big in the early 80s Norbel. I was working part time for my uncles carpet firm at the time and recall persuading him (against his better judgement) to stock some - instead of browns and beiges. Anyway, they did so well I ended up going abroad buying for him!So I retain a soft spot for them xx

      Delete
  10. Oh the beauty of the natural stone always astounds me! I love that rough cut on the larimar. The crustiness really grabs me. And those malachite banded beads are so very soothing, like water ripples. Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  11. Much as I love my art beads, I always have to have some natural stones too Erin xx

    ReplyDelete