Pages

Friday, March 3, 2017

We're All Ears :: March Inspiration :: Owls

I just found out that this weekend, March 3-5, 2017 is the International Festival of Owls in Houston, MN. And I just Googled the map and it is only 2 1/2 hours from my house! I wish that I had seen this sooner, as that is something I would love to attend.

They have a gift shop, a photography contest and an owl pellet dissection (I am not sure I want to know what that entails!). There is even a collaborative artwork that will be created by everyone that attends, adding their own unique touch to a colorful owl painting. There is owl nest box building, owl storytime and a kids hooting contest. Doesn't that sound like a hoot? ;-)

The best part is the live owl programs featuring barn, short-eared, snowy, Great Horned, Barred owls, and Eastern screech owls.

They represent wisdom and truth with piercing eyes that are all-seeing, even in the darkest of nights. Silent, secret and majestic. As a personal totem they symbolize the capacity to see beyond deceit, a heightened intuition and are harbingers of life transitions and change.

Photo credits :: Unsplash :: clockwise from top R
Quentin Dr :: Andy Chilton :: Massimo Mancini :: Paul Morley :: Ray Hennessey :: Andy Chilton :: Cliff Johnson

They are even showing the USA premiere of a movie called The Secret Life of Owls! (Click to watch the trailer!)

I love the beauty of these fearsome creatures and have made them a part of my jewelry work for many years, but I have never really made them part of earrings, typically only pendants, so this will be a challenge for me! What about the owls inspires you? I can't wait to see what you do with this month's challenge. Make your earrings inspired by OWLS and share them here on Friday, March 17th!

3 comments:

  1. I'm very looking forward to this earring challenge! I just love owls! They are magnificent creatures.
    Greetings, Sofie
    http://sofiecreates.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love owls. To my great surprise there's a family of great horned owls that live in my neighborhood. I hear them hooting sometimes in the middle of the night. And I live in the great suburban wasteland of Orange County!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh I LOVE owls! They are my favorite bird of prey. What inspires me about them? They have a very zen energy, in my opinion. It's the only way I can describe it I guess. I will attempt to make owl earrings (like you, I'm more prone to design owl pendants vs earrings). Great challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete