Pages

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

A Boy called Hilda.





This week I thought I'd introduce you to one of my favourite photographic props. It's the tale of a boy called Hilda.
 
'Hilda' was one of the myriad of antiques/objets d'art/bits of tat my mother used to collect when she retired from work. As well as some wonderful beads and pieces of broken antique jewellery; that's for another day. 
 
Hilda is a beautifully carved native head in a solid hardwood, well polished by age. 'She' had pride of place on one of my mum's many cabinets, and when my kids were younger they always used to turn 'her' head towards the door as they left and tell my mum it would afford her protection from robbers while she slept. So it became a bit of a tradition, and when Hilda passed to me we always made sure 'she' was facing the door in our home. And yes, touch wood, we have never been burgled.
 
You will, of course, all have noticed that 'she' is male, but my mum would never have it and so 'Hilda' stuck. I'm guessing he's from some S. American tribe - but if anyone can enlighten me please do.
 
Hilda has provided an atmospheric backdrop to many, many pairs of tribal style earrings  and I wouldn't be without 'her'!
 
 



 The earrings this week I've called 'Arrowhead'. I imagine Hilda with a bow and arrows, maybe with tips poisoned with curare! The dramatic arrowhead shaped ceramics in green and bronze are by one of my favourite ceramic artists Mari Carmen Rodriguez Martinez and I've wired them to beaten wrapped oxidised copper rings by Irish metal artist Colleen Campbell. Faceted pyrite chunks echo the bronze cast to the ceramics, and they hang from fab beaten copper circular earwires made for me by Lucy Haslam.



 
Have you a favourite photographic prop to share with us? Or maybe you could think about using them a little more - they can provide great atmosphere and add meaning to your work. 
 
See you next time
 
Lindsay x
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

16 comments:

  1. Oooh these are fabulous Lindsay, such a lovely way to use the components and love your organic feel x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Colleen - you know I love your wrapped rings - they're so versatile. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love to read your posts Lindsay. I love your English and the way your describe things. I know I don't say this in the right way, but I think you understand what I mean.
    What a beautiful object! Wonderful statue. And your earrings are marvelous as always. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to have an amazing prop like handsome Hilda!! And I so love these earrings. Since I was lucky enough to retire not long ago I so rarely wear jewelry but I'm still very tempted!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same Kristi - I used to wear bracelet and earrings every day to work. I still wear earrings daily but it's generally the same pair!

      Delete
  5. What an interesting story! you could do a whole collection based on hilda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's been featured on many a photo Divya. I called the series 'Heart of Darkness' after Conrad's novel.

      Delete
  6. Looks like 'Hilda' is a Masai or Samburu moran (warrior)from eastern Africa. The hair is styled with clay and red ochre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gudrun - I shall do a little digging x

      Delete
  7. Oh Lindsay, I love the story about Hilda--it adds so much character to a wonderful photographic prop! The earrings are gorgeous--color and texture and that yummy copper! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cool story! Stunning earrings! I love the design and the colors. Just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the story behind this - it's this "seasoning" that gives each artist her own unique space in the universe. And the earrings pair perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete