Pages

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Autumn's Splendor

Today the weather has turned. It is 25 degrees for a high. But the sun is shining and there are still a lot of party-colored leaves on the trees. Paired with the gentle rolling ripples on the water of the Wisconsin River, the gold and chartreuse leaves on the trees on the banks just a few yards away are very inviting.

Fall in Wisconsin is glorious. I found out this past weekend that fall in Western Michigan is much the same. I was attending the 3rd annual Inspired by Nature retreat. Heather Powers is a marvel at making you feel welcome and loved. The venue is so peaceful and beautiful and spacious. The food was excellent (thanks for the French Toast bake, Miss Terri - I need that recipe!). And the projects were so great, open to so many creative interpretations, which is a plus in my book. If you ever have the chance to take a class or a weekend art retreat, do it. I drive 6 hours one way just to get there and I wouldn't miss it. The new friends that I have made, the ones I have re-connected with, the techniques learned, the laughs shared, the fun had... simply cannot be experienced any other way. But I digress...

These are not earrings that I made this weekend, but I shared them with the group on Saturday night. Heather asked me to teach a little mini-workshop on nifty tips for jewelry designers. I did a little thing I called Tricks & Treats: Nifty Tips to Make Your Jewelry Designs Sweet. Since I struggle with thinking that what I do is 'nifty', it was hard to come up with some ideas until she reminded me that it is the little details that she loves about what I make. So I made these earrings as an example using one of my favorite tricks to embellish ear wires that are pre-made. While I would love to make my own ear wires, I just don't have the time, but I still want to make them special.

Basically, I like to embellish the ear wires in different ways, and my favorite way is to use seed beads on kidney shaped earrings wrapped with wire. A simple touch that makes all the difference.

I call these 'Autumn's Splendor' for way they look like the tree that is bursting with life right outside my window.


And I would wear them with a cozy sweater like this one from the Sundance catalog, coincidentally called 'Autumn's Splendor.'


Makes me want to go shopping for cozy sweaters right now!

Erin Prais-Hintz invites you to go on a journey of inspiration at her blog Treasures Found :: Inspiration is Everywhere. You can view a gallery of her work at http://www.tesoritrovati.com/ or purchase her popular line of 'Simple Truths' in her Etsy shop.

4 comments:

  1. CUUUUTE!! Love those earrings and that sweater is perfect to pair with them. Lucky duck going to that retreat, I bet you had the best time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful earrings! I love how you embellished the earwires!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are awesome! I love the tip on seed beads and am going to try it. Of course, now I want to hear all your nifty tricks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you do with kidney earwires! It makes them a feature all on their own. I love the golden colors in these, and those focal beads are very cool!

    ReplyDelete