Pages

Friday, December 15, 2017

We're All Ears :: 3rd Annual Leftovers Challenge Reveal

First off, I have to apologize and correct the record...2017 is the 3rd annual Use Your Leftovers Challenge. I mistakenly thought it was the 2nd! 

Next, I have to explain the situation....as I am wont to do, I left this challenge until the last possible minute. I had to work a late shift at our local art gallery until 8pm on Thursday. But I can get very energized with a quick time frame, so I knew that I could do this. When I got home and finally into the studio it was closer to 9pm and I noticed that my phone was hot and stuck on the boot screen. At first I just thought I was low on power and got the charger. About 20 minutes later I noticed that it was not actually charging but stuck on that boot screen. Uh-oh. I have since found out that my phone is likely toast. Apparently, this particular phone (LG G4) has a known hardware problem. Most people found this out back in 2015. So of course, this doesn't look good (especially when the YouTube videos to fix this involve dismantling the entire phone and using an IRON on it). I decided that I would push ahead and start making some earrings, knowing that I would have nothing to show you. I just hope that my contacts, data and any photos or videos can be recovered (but from the reviews it doesn't seem likely). While it might be nice to get a new phone, I had totally paid this up front and it is probably out of warranty at this point. Wah-wah.
{Insert your favorite sad emoji here.}

First, take a picture of the craftermath from your bead feast. Earlier in the week I had actually took a picture of the current state of the craftastrophe. Here is a side by side comparison of the same exact corner from 2015 to prove that nothing ever changes. All I can assert is that I may have purchased more stuff...allegedly. Oh, the shame! {Please tell me you can relate...}



Next, find a divided box, bin, baggies or small bowls and go through the stash on your festive table picking out coordinated sets that you can use to create earrings.  Since my studio is teetering on the brink of the abyss, all I could do was just pull the bead pairs out on the 3" square space I had to work in. But the good news is that from this strata of raw material there is no end to the amount of things I can create. 

Now, kick your creating into high gear! I have become addicted to some podcasts, so I put on my favorite (Pod Save America) and listened to two episodes that I missed this week. You will have to take my word for it that I did create some earrings. If I can find a way to take pictures of what I made in the next week, I promise I will update this space. {Still in a funk about my phone's untimely demise.}

In the spirit of this season of giving, I will offer a giveaway of an Emergency Earring Making kit - with beads and findings from my obvious prodigious stash for you to use to make multiple pairs of earrings - valued at over $40. But in order to be chosen, you have to participate in the blog hop starting on December 15th! Winner will be chosen at random from all eligible entries on December 25th (that will give you more than one full week to make your Leftover Transformation magic happen!). I'll even leave the LinkyTools party open until December 25th so you have lots of time to play!
Let's get this leftover party started...tell your friends to join in the fun, too!


So now it is time for you to share what you made by adding your link to the Linky Tools party right here. Right now.

10 comments:

  1. Awesome site. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this opportunity to clean up my "bead mess" (its not clean yet by the way!!)I hope that you get a new phone soon and that I get to see your creations

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for pushing us to create earrings once a month. I love making earrings anyway!


    I am sorry about your phone. I can relate to your sorrow. I had to recently replace mine. I think the cell phone companies make you update them every so often so you are forced to get a new one. I found that my new phone has problems that are related to the cell coverage in my area and not really the phone. I am happy I have a new phone but the payments are painful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin, I am so sorry about your phone. I hope you get a new one soon and that it will not take too much time or trouble to get all your info back on it.
    Thank you again for a wonderful challenge. Woohoo I am so happy I finally was able to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm so sorry about the untimely demise of your phone! That's absolutely no fun. I hope getting a new one--and recovering your files--isn't too difficult!

    On a happier note, thank you so much for holding this challenge again... It gave me a good incentive to clean up my craftermath, and I had fun making the earrings! You are always an inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin, losing everything on a device is extremely stressful. I can relate. A constant reminder to back up. How does one back up a phone? I’m sure there are many ways and you have convinced me to check into that. I really am sorry for your loss. You will get through it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about the untimely demise of your phone! I hope you'll eventually be able to share what you made. I always love seeing your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate to hear that you're having such a hard time with your phone. Bummer! I hope you can get it all fixed up. I know that freak out feeling when you don't have it. Looking forward to seeing what you did create once all's well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha, I wish my phone could take better pictures but it's a treacherous device ;) Looking forward to your reveal and thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My sympathies on your phone. Mine is in its decline, and I hope it can hold out until I'm ready to get a new one. I love this challenge! I wasn't able to participate this year (tendonitis) but I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else made (and eventually your earrings!)

    ReplyDelete