Pages

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Change is a-Comin'

Let's face it, we all have a favorite season: 

...the quiet white introversion of winter...
...the unrestrained energetic rebirth of spring...
...the saturated free-wheelin' heat of summer...
...and then there's the spicy moody deliciousness of autumn...my favorite, the best.

Every time this year a little kernel of excitement starts to grow in me as I realize that fall is right around the corner. By the time the leaves have burst into flames and pumpkins are on every porch, I'm in full-blown heaven. And Halloween - oh, the mystery and the wickedness!

Lately I've subconsciously found myself gravitating to designs using the patron colors of autumn - burnt orange, rusty red, golden honey, warm brown, and faded sage green. It's as if even my design sense realizes that change is coming. 


One of nature's little miracles, Picasso jasper, happens to capture all of these hues perfectly in one stone. When I saw this pair, I knew that some angular primitive metalworked post earrings were in order. I bezel-set the stones in sterling silver and then soldered a few hammered bars on for a spray of movement. When worn just-so, the shape of these stones accentuates the ear perfectly. 

Get your sweaters ready as you walk through the crunchy sweet leaves, hear the din of late year cicadas and crickets, feel the nip of cool evenings on your nose, and warm yourself around a blazing bonfire with a mug of hot mulled cider.

Happy Wednesday :)
Nikki
LoveRoot on Etsy

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful stones. The simple yet dramatic design really makes them shine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erm, yeah, so these are, like, ace, as per... I can't resist slipping into autumn makes either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catching up on all these beautiful posts as I was away... these earrings are FABULOUS! Love the shape, the textures, the colors... well done!

    ReplyDelete