Pages

Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Spring & Good Fortune


Spring is upon us and I'm enthralled in the color of green!  Until just two days ago I had planned a completely different post using grey metal tones. Those earrings will have to wait as it is the very first day of Spring! Green, hooray!


 I found these little vintage fortune cookies awhile back but really didn't have a vision for them.  I loved their size and shape but like so many bits in my studio, they sat patiently waiting for inspiration to strike!

Originally there were no holes so I pounded down the tips of the copper cookies. They flattened beautifully (don't ya just love copper that way) and punched holes at the tops.


A couple of weeks ago I happened upon a component show hosted by Sue-Lin Tarnowski on Facebook.  She posted these pretty tin pieces with delicate Chinese characters at the top.  I asked her if there was a backstory to them, she wrote and said that the tin was vintage, and found in an antique store in a small ranching and organic producer town in Cawston, British Columbia.  She told me she travels frequently for work and seeks out antique and second-hand stores that cross her path.  I've attached a link to her name if you'd like to check out her next show.

The tin pieces although vintage were very new looking in comparison to the aged cooper cookies. So, I used a texturing hammer and added some bronzy alcohol ink to give it a little bit of a framed border.  I think it's a more cohesive look now.



It's such a pleasure to share designs with you all - thank you for stopping by!  I'll be back in April!

Loralee XO

www.loraleekolton.etsy.com

27 comments:

  1. Fortune strikes in getting it all together - perfectly. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Stunning design, Loralee! Those little fortune cookies are adorable... great find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarajo!! These really tickled me lol

      Delete
  3. I love the different textures in these earrings ----shiny vs rustic tin. Are you going to participate in the Artists For Animals Facebook auction again? Your earrings are so unique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Oh, is that coming up already? I will hopefully! I'll have to look at dates :))) xxoxo

      Delete
  4. I adore these! Tea and cookies with a spin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue-Lin, you're components were so lovely! Meant to be!

      Delete
  5. The cookies are super cute, I have never seen metal components like them

    ReplyDelete
  6. How beautiful!! I love the fortune cookies.. How cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, those fortune cookies are great. So are tin charms from Sue-Lin. And the way you brought them together in this design, that shows your talent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic! I love the idea for incorporating pieces of decorative tins in your work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so fabulous. I love how you altered the components so they are just right!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing and original,with a story too fantastic xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. According to my Google Translate app, the one on the left says Guandong Tea and the other says '..import and export..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL that's awesome! My boyfriend/partner in crime is Chinese and I never thought to ask him...lol Although, he would probably need to show it to his parents because he only speaks mandarin

      Delete
  12. You have the most amazing way about you. Combining elements into pure joy.

    ReplyDelete