Pages

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Caribbean Getaway

A friend of mine just returned from a wonderful getaway to a resort, just south of Cancun, in Playa del Carmen, Mexico.  We visited Playa, (as the locals call it) about 15 years ago, when it was just a sleepy fishing village, with a touch of tourist activity clustered near the beach.  My friend says there is now a mall, shopping centers and tons of resorts and restaurants.  Frankly, I'm glad I got to see the area in its more "natural" state.

Nevertheless, she and her middle school aged son had a wonderful two weeks of relaxing, exploring Tulum and swimming in a cenote.

When my friend described her trip to me today, I remembered how vividly turquoise the Caribbean waters are. The lampwork beads in my new earrings are Caribbean turquoise too.  I love the unusual "drip shape" of these beads and the touches of purple and white on the lower edges.  The beads were made by one of my favorite lampwork artists Julie Burgard of Outwest Beads.
I decided to play up the purple touches by suspending the lampwork glass from purple leather cord, which I topped with  lavender Czech glass flowers and handmade brass ear wires.


We may not be able to lounge on a white sand beach or splash in warm turquoise waters, but we can wear a little getaway dream on our ears. The Caribbean Getaway earrings are available in my shop.


Hope you are having sunny days, wherever you live.  I'll be back here in a week.  Till then -

9 comments:

  1. These are so cute!! I love that you pulled out the little touches of purple in the beads. Definitely a tropical vibe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, I really love these! I love Julie's teardrop (sort of) beads, and pulling out the purple with that awesome leather worked beautifully. Thanks for the Caribbean getaway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh Linda, these are lovely. And that looks a great plaace to visit. -

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are very special Linda. I love that the beads can move on that leather cord. Very clever

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful earrings, Linda! I love the shape and how the color of the Czech flowers brings out the color of the cord and Julie's lampies. And thank you too for the photos of the Caribbean...sigh... <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! You've definitely captured the beauty of Playa in these earrings. Just a fabulous fabulous design!

    ReplyDelete