Pages

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Fundamentally Me

For anyone who asks, I tell them that my work is just as much about finding unique components as it is about fancy technique. I'm by no means the most widely accomplished jeweler in terms of depth and breadth of skills. But I do have a keen eye for beads, stones, fossils, and random found objects that have artistic potential. I'm not going to divulge how many hours of my life have been spent surfing the web for strange items or pawing through bead/rock show tables. Let's just say it all goes "into the soup". 

I'm especially fond of stocking up on treasures that I know I'll most likely never ever find again. Seems like a smart approach, right? Until your hoard starts to cast shadows on the floor...I digress.

Something that I found a few years ago and have been greedily holding on to are these fossilized echinoderm "petals". Echinoderms include sand dollars and sea urchins---so when you look at these fossils, imagine their spokes or arms. I saw these fossils and snapped up more than a few pairs, knowing that they were fundamentally ME: rustic, old, organic, neutral earth-tone. 

A couple weeks ago I bravely decided to cut one pair loose. Continuing with the soldered bead cap concept that I've been working lately, I added in a rustic spiral to each cap to give some energy and movement to the metal. I think it helps accentuate the shape of the fossils, as well. A healthy dose of oxidation and buffing really help to bring out the underlying texture and pattern. Add in some of my extra long ear wires and you've got versatile, crunchy, dark, edgy little twins for your ears.

Hope your week is a delicious one!

Nikki
LoveRoot on Etsy

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful, as always. You have as wonderful a way with words as you do with beads etc., by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, these are stunning. I love your soldered bead caps. And they go xo wonderful with these ancient stones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am envious of your prowess at finding cool and unusual beads, I want to be you when I grow up. I try but I'm not as good as you. These gorgeous "petals" are no exception, just gorgeous and I love the texture you are adding to the solder bead cap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so enjoy your posts and beautiful photos, Nikki! These new earrings are exceptional and I love your spiral soldered caps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are fantastic! Do you remember who the supplier was?

    ReplyDelete