Pages

Friday, December 21, 2018

We're All Ears :: Use Your Leftovers Challenge

Hello beady peeps! So sorry for the delay in posting. It has been a tough week for me to get anything done. I suppose that is why I call it a challenge! :-)

I didn't have as much time to get to my studio as I wanted due to some unforeseen circumstances, but just enough time to come up with three pairs of earrings for my holiday garb. I am not going to show you my craftastrophe mess. Because it actually hasn't changed from last year! Or the year before that!




For my husband's family we choose a theme each year and this year it is "tacky Christmas" which means loads of garish prints and ugly sweaters. Wasn't sure what to do, but then spotted the leftovers of an abandoned craft project. In doing the downtown window decoration at the Gallery Q, I ended up with quite a few burned out light bulbs that I couldn't bear to throw away. So I dabbed them with alcohol inks and metallics. I used some epoxy clay to hold ball chain around the top and the wire hanger. Originally, I thought they would make interesting ornaments, but never made more than two. And two is a pair which is perfect for earrings! So I added a couple of ear wires and will don these with my ugly fuzzy pug jingle sweater. I think it will be the perfect accompaniment (especially since they don't match). Perfectly tacky in every way! (Plus I think I will put out the bowl of bulbs because they are sort of pretty!)




My family comes to my house for Christmas day but it is a more traditional celebration. I also need to cantor the songs at church that morning. So tacky garb just won't do! I usually buy myself a Christmas sweater to wear. This year I found a really deep shade of plum with crystals around the collar. So something simple is in order. 




I grabbed a couple kinds of sparkling crystals and some chain and post earrings. Easy-peasy! They came together pretty quick. However, to match the bugle beads on my sweater I think that the simpler pair wins. What do you think? (Excuse the post-workout hairdo!)



Did you know that there are at least 40 different holidays around the world celebrated in December alone!? I hope that no matter where you are, or what you celebrate during this festive time of year that it is a time of joy and rest and reconnecting with the people you love and refocusing on what really matters. 

Happy holidays one and all! 

In the spirit of giving, I will offer a giveaway of an Emergency Earring Making kit - with beads and findings from my prodigious stash for you to use to make multiple pairs of earrings - valued at over $40. But in order to be chosen, you have to participate in the blog hop starting on December 21st. Winner will be chosen at random from all eligible entries on December 31st (that will give you more than one full week to make your Leftover Transformation magic happen!). I'll even leave the LinkyTools party open until December 31st so you have lots of time to play! I will announce the winner in the first challenge of the New Year on January 4th!

9 comments:

  1. I think the pairs you made are all so great. Upcycling those bulbs into earrings, ornaments and/or bowl fillers is genius! I love you you covered the epoxy clap with the ball chain, such a good idea. These are fun, but oh so perfect for a tacky Christmas.
    As for your two elegant pairs, they're lovely! And yes, I think the pair you selected for Christmas is great. Enjoy the festivities!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when folks upscale items. Great ideas for it! I love both your elegant pairs. Thanks for this challenge. It was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love them all! Very creative! Merry Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin, the bulb earrings are just brilliant for the tacky theme! I love the elegance of the chain and post earrings, and my vote is for the simpler pair too. (That sweater is beautiful, by the way. Beads and crystals and a lovely color - what's not to fall for!)
    Thank you for taking the time to host the challenge at this time of the year. Happy holidays to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin, I love the bulb earrings. For some reason I get a vintage Christmas vibe from them. I also agree, the simpler pair would be my vote. Thank for the challenge. I had a blast. Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bulb earrings are sparkly and festive but most of all, they show your endless creativity! And you can always rely on a long chain and shiny crystal to look elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just love everything you made! Love love love those baubles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What pretty things! You make even "tacky" look classy... the bulb earrings are fun and clever, and I really like how they turned out. And, of course, I like the streamlined elegance of the crystal and chain earrings... lovely!
    I truly love this challenge... thanks for letting me play along again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The lightbulb earrings are amazing. I do not find them tacky but super cool. I really dig them. Thanks for hosting this challenge and I look for to participating the next year too. A happy 2019 to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete