Pages

Thursday, June 22, 2017

These Earrings Had to Have Chain

Lately in some of my earring designs I've been searching out different elements and colors than I usually favor, mostly as a way to push myself out of my comfort zone a little, which in turn seems to help to keep my creativity sparking.  

This week's earrings feature a pair of Nicola Morse's brass paint effect-and-resin charms:


The charms themselves are Different Element One:  I rarely use gold or gold-tone metal.  Even so, they're so beautiful that I couldn't resist them!  I decided to pair them with lampwork glass--glossy blue discs by Helen Chalmers and small streaky mango-colored rondelles by Beth Mellor. 




Different Element Two was kind of randomly imposed: I'd decided that these earrings had to have chain, something I've almost never used in my earrings.  Somehow the delicate gold-filled chain I found finishes these earrings perfectly.  I used gold-filled head pins to wire-wrap 2-mm round turquoise beads and 11/0 gold-plated seed beads to each segment of the chain and hung them all from gold-filled jump rings. Hey, once I decided to go gold, I went all out!   😉


They're long, lightweight, and swingy.  They'll be in my shop soon.  

Thanks so much for reading about my adventures in golden charms and chains.  I'll be back in a few weeks!  ðŸ’—

xoxo
Meridy



  


  

12 comments:

  1. I am so happy you decided to use chain in these earrings. It's the perfect addition to make these earrings perfect. I love the beaded section on the chain as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the chain, Janine--the little chain segments seem to work well with the shape of the charms, and especially with the disc shape at the top. Thank you! xo

      Delete
  2. Yes! Nice touches... and I love that you kept your seed-bead accents, in a totally new way! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! Yes, I do love little seed bead accents. I was lucky that I'd had those tiny turquoise beads for years and still had enough to use on this project. I got the gold-plated seed beads at beadshop.com; hopefully they'll come in handy again! :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely, its got a southern feel with the addition of gold rush to it

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect - and I'm coming round to use more gold too. It's warm and summery xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Lindsay! Yes, I have to say I agree--as much as I love copper and silver, the golden tones are appealing to me more and more! xoxo

      Delete
  6. Meridy, the gold! These earrings may be the most beautiful yet. I love love the use of chain. It adds something so feminine yet funky (for lack of a better word) to any design. I admit, I have never used gold, at least not that I can recall. I just now have gotten pulled in by silver. Blackened copper has been my almost only for a very long time. The gold tones require just the right shades, and these are perfect, and perfectly gorgeous. Please forgive my delay in commenting. <3

    ReplyDelete