Pages

Friday, January 1, 2016

We're All Ears :: January Inspiration

"Colors this season transport us to a happier, sunnier place where we feel free to express a wittier version of our real selves."Leatrice Eiseman, Executive Director, Pantone Color Institute
  So the Pantone color of the year has been announced... and it is a DUO! Say hello to Rose Quartz and Serenity. Tell me...does this pair transport you to a happier, sunnier place?
 I am not quite sure what I think each year when these trend reports are released. Mostly I don't like them, but then they eventually grow on me. I am actually intrigued by a pair of colors that can work in tandem and blend and morph. I am not sure how I feel about the rest of the palette for Spring 2016. I am not sure they play together as nicely as these two.  We are told on the Pantone site that this year's palette features color choices that are unisex to reflect a shift in cultural and gender norms. These color choices for both men and women are meant to evoke "a desire to breathe and reflect, then play."   Hmmmm... that sounds like a lot of responsibility for a set of colors. I wonder what you think? 

Here is what the Pantone Color Institute has to say about the top 10 colors for 2016:
  • The soothing, calming nature of colors in the Spring collections are led by Rose Quartz, a persuasive yet gentle tone that conveys compassion and a sense of composure. Like a serene sunset, flushed cheek or budding flower, Rose Quartz reminds us to reflect on our surroundings during the busy but lighthearted spring and summer months.
  • The fashion and design communities, and consequently, consumers, have been in love with orange for several seasons. Coming to the fore this Spring is, Peach Echo, a shade that emanates friendlier qualities, evoking warmth and accessibility. It is an all-encompassing, tempered companion in the playful orange family.
  • Weightless and airy, like the expanse of the blue sky above us, Serenity comforts with a calming effect, bringing a feeling of respite even in turbulent times. A transcendent blue, Serenity provides us with a naturally connected sense of space.
  • A maritime-inspired blue, Snorkel Blue plays in the navy family, but with a happier, more energetic context. The name alone implies a relaxing vacation and encourages escape. It is striking yet still, with lots of activity bursting from its undertones.
  • While the majority of the Spring/Summer palette trends toward calmness, a few diversions from the theme emerge that offer a contrast. With Buttercup designers reveal a shining beacon transporting its wearer to a happier, sunnier place.
  • A shade of aqua that leans toward the green family, Limpet Shell is clear, clean and defined. Suggestive of clarity and freshness, its crisp and modern influences evoke a deliberate, mindful tranquility.
  • As in most any season, the need for neutrals arises. Essentially a basic, the subtlety of the lilac undertone in, Lilac Gray, adds a distinctive edge to this classic gray shade.
  • The high energy Fiesta is a harbinger of excitement, encouraging free-spirited exploration to unknown but welcoming locales. A strong and fiery, yellow-based red, the vivid Fiesta provides a stark contrast to the calming, softer nature of this season’s palette.
  • A transitional color that will take us through the seasons, Iced Coffee manifests as another strong neutral for the season. With its natural earthy quality, the softness and subtlety of Iced Coffee creates a stable foundation when combined with the rest of this season’s palette.
  • Green Flash calls on its wearer to explore, push the envelope and escape the mundane, radiating an openness that combines with the rest of the palette in unexpected but serendipitous ways. The popularity of this brilliant hue is representative of nature’s persistent influence even in urban environments, a trend continuing to inspire designers.
It seems to me that these colors are fairly reminiscent of the 2015 colors, but in a bit more vibrant palette. Do you see that? What do you think? Our challenge this month is to use the spring 2016 palette to create with. Do check out the Pantone Color report for more information, including pairings for each of the colors which I find intriguing. And of course, if you choose to just stick with the two colors of the year, that is a great challenge in and of itself...how to make baby pink and light blue sophisticated and fresh and fit for more than a baby shower... 
 
What colors do YOU like from the 2016 Pantone Spring color forecast?
What will you be wearing - or creating with - in the coming year?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To participate in the We're All Ears creative challenge:
Make earrings inspired by this inspiration.
Write a post on your blog.
Add your exact blog post URL link to the
InLinkz code right here on 
Friday, January 15th.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
P.S. I promised winners for the last challenge and then dropped the ball with all the holiday prep. I decided that all those that entered the last blog hop were winners just for carving out time to do it! All those that participated and uploaded their link by the deadline are winners and have all be contacted to arrange for their prize! I do plan to make the Use Your Leftovers an annual event, perfect for the end of the year and the gifting season. Looking forward to more earring fun with you in 2016!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for your generosity of gifting everyone who participated last month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Erin for the new inspiration! I love this color combo. Especially the rose quarts part (rose quarts is my favorite mineral!).

    Greetings, Sofie
    http://sofies-succulent-beads.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome Erin! (sending out prizes to all)
    I'm like you- I am not too keen on these colors. Maybe they will grow on me. But I have never liked rose or that shade of blue. I may be able to work with some of the other shades, however. I am intrigued by the challenge! Thanks for offering us another month of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward for this challenge, Erin and show you on Jan 15- two weeks to work and now I've to see if I already have them in my stash. HAPPY NEW YEAR. Dita.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got to start digging in the bead stash to see what I have for this challenge! Also a big THANK YOU for your generous gifts to the December participants .... You already know I'm thrilled beyond words!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin, in answer to your question about what will I be creating with this year??? I honestly don't think the Pantone colors will influence me much at all. I create with what I like. The far right colors look like nothing more than primary colors to me. Red/orange, several shades of blue, one aqua leaning, with shading, yellow, green, again with shading. . . . I don't know. Nothing very new to me. But really, I like all colors in the right design. Light pink and blue are probably the two colors I've used the least. Whether I pick them up or not, I'll just have to wait and see. And ya know, I can find peace, too, in almost any color, if the design is peaceful. Thanks, Erin, for the thought provoking post. Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete