Pages

Thursday, June 19, 2014

We're All Ears :: June Reveal


Beautiful architecture captures my imagination. I find it fascinating that someone can foresee the final product of a structure and then bring it to life. The Guggenheim museum central atrium with its soaring spiral view is a true marvel. The gentle curving walls are actually wider at the top then at the bottom. This was Frank Lloyd Wright's last major work. He died six months before the opening.

Obviously, the spiral shape is what captivated me most about this image. That and the delicate, almost cobweb-like skylight. Spirals are such a common shape in nature.

I couldn't help a little shopping at the recent Bead & Button show (totally breaking my bead diet like a diabetic dropped in the middle of the Hershey factory!), and as I was looking I happened to see these shapes in some of what I purchased. Two sets of art beads, from two different artists, but each with this spiral cobweb motif.



First up are rustic ceramic charms from Marsha Neal Studios. There is a yummy crustiness to this finish that I adore. They are textured on the back as well, with just a touch more blue, but I really liked this side. I decided to bring in some of my favorite jewels from Beads Direct Online (really the only place that I buy gemstones from!) that are rough cut nuggets in Hessionite garnet with an AB finish that gives them a flash of blue and green added to the rich orange color. The holes on these stones are quite tiny, so I had to use 24 gauge wire, but that would be very flimsy. So I solved that by wrapping the wire around the beads to stabilize them and wrapped in between each stone to strengthen the stack. I call these 'Spira Mirabilis,' Latin for 'miraculous spiral,' which is what they call a logarithmic spiral that you find in nature, like the inner workings of a nautilus or an unfurling fern frond.


Going to the Green Girl Studios booth is always a highlight of my time at the Bead & Button show. I always wait until there is a lull so that I can really peruse their goodies at my leisure. Usually that is difficult, as their booth seems to be mobbed at all times. But this year was a bit more relaxed, and I spent a good amount of time there. I told Cynthia Thornton that it was always a pleasure to visit with them. She didn't believe me. She thought that I would mean visiting with her brother, Andrew Thornton, as most people who stop by. But no. I love both of them for the way they each approach life and view the world. Seeing the world through their eyes is really uplifting and intriguing.  And tagging along while they shop is even more fun!

While running my fingers through all the little compartments at their booth and seeking pieces that I don't already own (read: hoard), I came across these little oblong charms. Both sides have a pattern, so they could be reversible, but what struck me was this side. The intricate details reminded me of spiderwebs. When I got home and was making earrings for this challenge, I realized then that the windows of the skylight were represented here. I love the way they are overlapping as if dependent on the other lines to support their pattern. I paired these pretty charms with some onion-shaped briolettes in labrodorite with an AB finish from Beads Direct Online and kept is simple. I call them 'A Delicate Balance.'

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for joining me in the We're All Ears monthly challenges. When I started this a few months ago, I had no idea if it was something that would be interesting, but you have proven to me that it is. Your participation encourages me to keep on planning the monthly We're All Ears inspiration challenge. The next inspiration will be revealed on July 4th.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let's see what you created!
Please take the time to hop around to the participants.
Leave kind, encouraging comments.
Visit their shops.
Make new friends!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An InLinkz Link-up

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Add the InLinkz code to your blog!

16 comments:

  1. The Guggenheim architecture was so inspiring! Thank you for providing us with such varied sources of inspiration and giving us the opportunity to play. Your earrings are fabulous, they're like ancient treasures connecting with modernity, very earthy with a touch of sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What perfect matches on your artist elements, with the textures! I adore the second pair: those steely shades are some of my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both earrings are wonderful. Thank you for putting this challenge together. I look forward to it every month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both pair are so beautiful and spot on for this inspiration. This reveal was so much fun, thank you for all your hard work Erin!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Erin,
    Both pairs of your earrings are gorgeous. I love the colors and texture in 'Spira Mirabilis, and the simplicity in "A Delicate Balance".
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  6. The focals are really beautiful with the beads adding the right amount of bling to them

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful designs! Amazing texture and colors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for all of these wonderful inspirations. In my newly retired life, I find myself eagerly anticipating each of these challenges as something to add structure and creativity to my days. Your earrings are always inspired and gorgeous. Both of these pairs are perfect, but I absolutely LOVE the second pair. Those charms are fabulous and the lab brios complete them beautifully. I will be dreaming of those! Glad you cheated on your bead diet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous earrings!! Great inspiration too! I've been too swamped and then we left to go home. Just got back and my must-do list is a mile long. Just no time to participate this time around :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Could not get with it enough this month to create something, but oh, how I'm enjoying everyone else's inspired pieces. Love those Marsha Neal nautilus charm earrings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't figure out how to use my own name here instead of my author name (used for my romance books) so I'll introduce myself. I'm Calisa Selfridge and I go by Lisa (Lisa's Creations). This is my first time playing here and I loved the opportunity to let go and make something not completely of my own mind set. Thanks Erin! These are all great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I just love the garnets on the first pair. That color looks so good with the rustic look of the charms underneath. Great pair of earrings! Your second pair captured the spiderweb skylight so well! I am jealous of your time at Bead and Button, it sounds like it was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. One day I'll get to go to the Bead and Button show! Until then I share live vicariously through others who are able to attend. Totally ....Love love your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very attractive. I especially like the bottom pair with the Labradorite. It is quickly becoming my favourite gemstone

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really liked the concept and it's a perfect example of vintage style with modern trend.

    ReplyDelete