Pages

Friday, November 1, 2019

We're All Ears :: November Inspiration

You know how one thing leads to another? Like an adult version of the children's book, "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" where the cookie leads to all sorts of things? Well, we recently upgraded our home wifi to a Google puck-type thing. It was fine and dandy for set up, but then I noticed that my printer wouldn't print. Which lead me to find out that it is obsolete (yet works perfectly!) so my only option seemed that I needed to buy a new one. But then I discovered that I could wire it in directly (instead of the wireless of before, where it was on the other side of the room). And that meant a trip to the store to buy a cable. But the longest one they had was only 6 or 10-feet, so I had to move the printer closer. Which lead to the fascinating discovery of all sorts of flotsam and jetsam, like an archeological dig in paper form on the very messy computer desk. I am still sorting through it, but I did come across this little notebook with all these cryptic phrases in it, like Barely Clouds, and Disappointed Bees, and Hidden Venus. I was completely at a loss for what this was until I found a scribble at the end that this was from a random name generator called The Forge.

Random Name Generators exist to help people come up with all sorts of names...for characters in your next novel, Scientific-sounding bird names, Music Band Names, Dragon Names and so much more.

I like to name my pieces and I was obviously stuck for some cool-sounding names, and stumbled upon this, sometime in the past 10 years of living here. The FantasyNameGenerators website is far more robust and offers far more types of names to generate than I remember that the original one I used. I think that my diversion of this website was to produce a list of names that I could then use to influence my design, rather than naming a thing after. It is a good challenge to start with a name and see what leads you to create. So that is what we will do this month.


Above is a list of some of the names that I had in my little naming notebook. Pick one or more to create a pair of earrings that embodies this spirit of the name. And if you are so inspired to find your own random name, check out FantasyNameGenerators. See you back here on Friday, November 15th for the reveal!




2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this interesting - name challenge. I'll participate for sure

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg, how cool! Ruby Steel or Crimson Darkness gets me pretty excited!! lol

    ReplyDelete