Pages

Thursday, May 19, 2016

We're All Ears :: May Reveal

When I was little I was given Cambric tea by my mother: essentially hot water mixed with milk, sugar and a little bit of tea. This is likely why I like my creamer with a side of coffee! I still drink my tea this way and it always makes me think of simpler times. I learned that Cambric tea is often just water and milk and sugar, with the tea (or sometimes coffee) being introduced little by little. This is usually given to children. Makes them feel grown up, I suppose, or I read that it was done to introduce a stimulant to youngsters! (As if they need more stimulation! ;-)



So I settled in with an assortment of teas to get inspired. My favorites are Yogi teas. I really like the flavors. But by far the best part is the little tag. 

Wow. How DOES my tea know that is what I needed to hear tonight?

I can remember when I first found one of those little tags. It felt like a wonderful little secret message from the Universe just for me. Sort of like a fortune cookie. Except that it actually made grammatical sense. I started pulling all those little tags off and adding them to a small glass mason jar. It is stuffed full of these tiny words of wisdom. If you have ever ordered anything from me you know that I like to include them in my hand written note to you. I actually just reach into the little jar and pull one out as it is truly what I like to call a RAW, or Random Act of Wisdom. 

So when I thought about what I loved about tea, I kept coming back to those little tags. Yogi Tea has sort of spoiled me for others, like Tazo or good ol' Lipton. Not that they aren't great teas. I just feel sort of cheated when I open a tea bag and there is not a little message of positivity and hope. In fact, I think that each one I open is the perfect message for me in that moment. 

So that is what I set out to replicate. I took some little square blanks and stamped a two part message on each. Then I scruboodled them a bit (only a real term - in my mind!) with a coarse scrubbing block. I dribbled three different colors of alcohol inks on them for that tea-stained look, sealed with a fixative. A wee bit of stray chain attached - et voila! Tea-Stained Wisdom earrings are born!

Good Things Happen Over Tea
A Cup of Tea Makes Life Better
Where There's Tea, There's Hope
Enjoy Life Sip by Sip

 Enjoy with your favorite flavor of Cambric tea. ;-)


 


Okay. I just have to share this artist that I found. Her name is Ruby Silvious and she has an Instagram project that is being released as a book later in 2016 called 365 Days of Tea. This artist paints on used tea bags as her canvas. Brilliant! These images are perfect in their simplicity and charming in their subject matter. Isn't that incredible? If anyone is looking for a perfect gift for me, this would be it! ;-) 

Your turn! Let's see what you made inspired by our May Tea Party!


Get the InLinkz code for your blog! 

15 comments:

  1. Love, love , love it! Your take on tea and labels is amazing...wonderful work, very inspirational (your work)as well as fun. Had 'coffee' just like your Cambric Tea with my grandma years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I just love these Erin! Too too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a smart and cute idea! I love these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun and I love your inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those sweet earrings and those tea bags are darling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Erin, the earrings are beautiful. Its such a lovely concept and I love the tea stain look. Thanks for the challenge, I really enjoyed playing along

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are beautiful, Erin! Simple, artistic, creative and lots of fun! Love this tea stain look and the shape looks like a tea bag as well. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your tea stained earrings. They are very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm echoing all the above!! Love these tiny tea bag statements...Tea Drinkers Unite!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a brilliant was to interpret this month's challenge! I'm so impressed - and charmed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these earrings! They are simply perfect--the look and feel definitely make me think of tea bags, and the inspirational quotes are a nice touch. Wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. these are awesome! I love yogi tea (and dove chocolates) for the same reason. Little bits of wisdom that come just as you need it. I love the tea bag artist you found too. So cool! I'm looking at my ginger tea bag now thinking about whether I should start saving them for a project .... Love ya Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1) Your tea stained wisdom earrings are so clever and fabulous. 2) Scruboodled is now a term in my mind as well. Your posts are as fun to read as the pictures are to look at. 3) Thank you for introducing me to the work of Ruby Silvious. I'm in love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your earrings are such fabulous little works of art. I'm not much of a tea drinker but I do love the bags that have quotes, fortunes, and words of wisdom. A beautiful and unique interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry I am a little late, photo issues kept me posting until today. Erin I just love your earrings! The little messages are perfect and I really like how you "tea aged" the metal. What a great way to work with the theme!

    ReplyDelete